Friday, May 4, 2018

My Favorite Haunts

Recently, a lovely reader asked me for recommendations of my favorite places to shop. 
My reply was: antique stores, estate/yard sales, thrift stores, and I just had to add . . . alleys! 

Some of my best finds have been while riding my bike down the alleys in our old neighborhood. 
And now that it's spring-cleaning weather, people are obliging me 
by kindly putting their unwanted items in the alleys for my perusal. 
So, I'm dusting off the bicycle and looking forward to adding to my Ethan Alley Collection.


You just never know what you might find cruising the alleys. 
Can you believe we recently found this discarded Adirondack set,
complete with table and foot rest? 
I spent two days scraping and painting but didn't it turn out nice?


Sometimes it's a big item like those chairs and we need to pedal home and get the car; 
other times it's something tiny that fits in my bicycle basket. 
Like these sparkly crystal doorknobs.


Another place I love to shop are antique malls. 
Recently I found a beautiful small demijohn (left) wrapped in wicker. 
Although I love the big boys, they're out of my price range so I was delighted 
when I found this one that was just right to add to my collection in the foyer.


This gorgeous copper tea kettle caught my eye at a vintage market and it was calling my name. 
I think the reason copper is so popular is it evokes the feeling of a hearth in the kitchen. 
Every time I walk into my little kitchen, it's the first thing I see and it reminds me of old kitchens where everyone gathered close to a roaring fire to keep warm, eat dinner and talk. 
I love its warm glow and many well-loved patches.


Estate/yard sales! Yippee! It's sale season again. 
Yard sales are starting to pop up all over our neighborhood. 
Although you can find some great bargains at yard sales, the real treasures are at estate sales. 
Check out estatesales.net for weekly listings in your area. 

My most favorite estate sale find was this beautiful old clock for $5!
It needed some TLC but was well worth it.


Yard sales are a great place to find vintage linens, dishes, old books and silverplate.
I lucked out when I scored this beautiful floral print for a few dollars.


Thrift stores like Goodwill and ARC can be amazing sources although you do need 
to check back often. We swing by our thrift stores about once a week. 
Fridays seem to be a good day because they're stocking the shelves for Saturday sales.


One of my favorite thrift store treasures is this amazing chair. 
An antique dealer told me it was probably 1800s English. $13. Sold! 


And, if you're feeling adventurous, you can keep an eye on construction dumpsters. 
Remember this chippy column I retrieved from an overflowing dumpster?
Be still my heart! 


Happy Sale-ing!!

***

CABIN QUEST UPDATE
Still looking for the perfect mountain cabin.
It's been a week of highs and lows, literally.
I found an incredible cabin that looked a lot like my Pinterest favorites.
But it went under contract almost immediately. I was so bummed.
Then, I found a hunting cabin near Rocky Mountain National Park
but it was on the worst road I've ever driven on and then,
when we finally found the cabin, it was just a disappointing mess.
So, still looking.

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's FREE) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards to see all my favorite photos.
Thanks!!!

***

Linking with:
Shabby Art BoutiqueLittle FarmsteadOur Southern HomeDwellingsThe Dedicated House,
Between Naps on the PorchStone GableA Stroll Thru LifeSavvy Southern Style,
Designthusiasm21 Rosemary LaneFollow the Yellow Brick HomeFrench Country Cottage





19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you are terrific at this . . . great job! I love those door knobs and that column :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I think it's just as much being in the right place at the right time and enjoying the hunt. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  2. Your have found some wonderful pieces, my favorite being the copper tea kettle.

    Happy Haunt Hunting ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! The hunt is half the fun isn't it? I love the copper kettle too. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. Love all your finds, I too am a lover of road side treasures. If I could I would go treasure hunting all day everyday! Bonne chasse au tre'sor ! Lisa @ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! Have you found some road-side goodies too? Heading out tomorrow to our first monthly Paris Street Market. Should be fun. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  4. You are quite the picker. I would love to spend the summer there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I realize not everyone has good picking territory and some don't even have alleys but I'm lucky to have fun options. Hope you get to come this way some time for the hunt. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  5. I love trash day too,lol! People leave good stuff out sometimes. Estate sales are the best. I enjoyed reading this, and what great neighbors, happy hunting for treasures and cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene. Have a wonderful weekend and a great "trash day." Love it. Pat

      Delete
  6. Ethan Alley collection! Love it. Our alleys aren't quite the treasure trove they used to be since they removed the dumpsters. Every now and then though, I'll see something interesting but certainly not like before. 😐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika. I know what you mean...we lost our big dumpsters too but people will still set things next to their bins. Hope you have a good week. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. I can relate to your story! In France, we are avid attendees at the vide-greniers (village garage sale) and have been known to drive some distances for both the pleasure of discovering new places and the lovely atmosphere around the tables of treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Catherine. Wish I could go to the village garage sale with you! Good luck finding some treasures. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh your finds are fabulous! Isn't it great to be able to get out there again? That demijohn is to die for! We'd love for you to share over at Vintage Charm Party #131! https://bit.ly/2HXwji5

    Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your finds are so wonderful! So fun to find such beautiful things in alleys! That doesn't happen where we live, otherwise I'd be right there. That column- probably best find ever! I know a couple of friends who are architectural dealers who would jump for joy if they found one of those. So exciting for you, and you have just the style to make all those found treasures look beautiful in your home Pat. Xo Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat, your shopping haunts look like fun and ones that yield great finds. I love this kind of shopping because one never knows what will present itself! Good luck on the cabin hunt. That sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems silly to buy new, when I find some many things that I truly love at yard sales/thrift shops etc. I recently scored an Ethan Allen love seat at consignment shop. Slightly used, less than a year old, and I paid 1/3 of the retail price! I never believed it when people said they found things in alley ways or side of the road. But then I found a (semi) vintage window, and now I am a believer. I enjoyed your stories very much! Visiting from Marilyn's Treats Thursday Favorite Things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the queen! Those treasures you have found are AMAZING!!!!!

    Well done, ma'am!

    ReplyDelete