Friday, March 3, 2017

Window Shopping

In a hundred-year-old neighborhood, you never know what you're going to find 
-- or who's going to find you -- when you're out for a walk. 
Can you believe someone actually gave me this beautiful leaded glass window?


I'll tell you all about it but let me back up for a bit and tell you the whole story first.

It was a brilliant blue-sky kind of morning when Ron and I decided to take advantage of the sunny winter day and go for a walk in one of our favorite old neighborhoods. 
Roxy took off, pulling at the leash and investigating new smells, 
while we admired the gorgeous architecture of turn-of-the-century Denver.


There are so many beautiful homes in this lovely neighborhood, it's a real treat 
to simply go for a morning walk. We felt like we had stepped back in time and 
imagined horse-drawn carriages clip-clopping up and down these wide streets. 


We spotted an "Alamo" style house with some unusual stained-glass windows 
and stopped to take a closer look.


As we were pointing to the upper windows, an older man wearing a dark brown bathrobe
and holding a cup of coffee walked out onto the porch
We weren't quite sure what he would do or say as we stared at his home.

"We're just admiring your pretty windows," I said pleasantly, 
hoping he wasn't going to call the cops. 


That's when another man in a green bathrobe with coffee in hand joined him on the porch. 
We could see them talking quietly. Then Green Bathrobe said, "Do you like this sort of window?"

"Oh, yes!," I replied, "I just love them."
Most of the old Victorians in Denver have amazing stained-glass windows
like this unusual clover-shaped beauty just down the street. 


"Would you like to have one?"

Wait. What? Was he going to try to sell me something? 
I wondered if we had become so cynical from all the bad news on TV 
that we wrongly assumed the worst of people sometimes.
I didn't want to be that person. 
Still, I stalled to see what he he would say next.


Then Brown Bathrobe said they'd rescued this window from the old house 
next door when it was demolished. 
A blah three-story brick apartment building stood in its place which I found sad.
He told us the salvaged window had been sitting on their front porch for years.

Finally I got up the nerve to ask him, "So, are you giving it away?"

"Yeah," he said softly, then sipped his coffee. 


At this point, I didn't even know what it looked like 
but readily climbed their front steps to check it out. 
When he held it up, I gasped.
Victorian leaded glass!

One pane was cracked but all the pieces were there. 
Raggedy sash ropes hung from both sides and the frame was filthy.


But I knew it was coming home with me. 
"This is so nice of you," I said. "Thank you so much."

Once we got it home, Ron removed the rope and repaired the broken glass 
which had been hobbled together with textured vinyl tape.
He replaced the ugly tape with clear packaging tape and now
you have to look closely to notice the break.


Then I Zip-Stripped the glass which was clouded with white spray paint. 
The dirty frame just needed a bath. 
 Finally, it looked as beautiful as it must have one hundred years ago.


I found the perfect place for it leaning against the wall
on top of the guest room's old chest of drawers.


I still can't believe these perfect strangers gifted us with this wonderful piece of history. 
And now, every time I look at the window,
I remember those two sweet gentlemen in their bathrobes.


I think they'd be happy with their window's new home. Don't you?

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's free) in the upper right column of this page.
Thank you!

***

Linking with:
Rustic & RefinedDwellingsBetween Naps on the PorchCoastal CharmBotanic Bleu,
Cedar Hill FarmhouseA Stroll Thru LifeSavvy Southern StyleA Delightsome Life,
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson21 Rosemary LanePeonies and Orange Blossoms,
Adirondack Girl at HeartCharm of HomeFrench Country Cottage

50 comments:

  1. I love this story, Pat!! Just goes to show that being friendly and polite is very worth it. They enjoyed meeting someone who appreciated old, wonderful things and you have a window to enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey! I'm so glad you loved this story; I did too! These things don't happen every day but when they do...WOW! Have a great weekend. Pat

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story! It is a lovely window and looks perfect in it's new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lorraine! Made even more lovely with this special story. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful neighborhood. The story is great and reminds us not to think the worst of people until they do something to deserve it. The window looks great on the dresser. Ron is so handy with fixing things. His patience is unbelievable. Good job to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jan! So glad you enjoyed the story. Wasn't sure where it would live but I think it found a home! Love and hugs, Pat

      Delete
  4. This is fantastic! Talk about serendipity. It is destined for you to take care of this window. And we don't even see the repairs. How wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I treasure this little gift because of the kindness of strangers...and cause I love old windows! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  5. Yes,there still are nice people out there,so glad you found them. Your window is a treasure. Wonderful story have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlene. This whole experience was a treasure. So glad you enjoyed my story. Pat

      Delete
  6. So special - both your new treasure and the fact that you stepped in and out of lives you wouldn't otherwise have been a part of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine. I like the way you phrased this special day. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. What a great story! It is simply beautiful! Lucky girl!

    Chippy white Cottage Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. Yes, I am a lucky girl! Thanks for visiting. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  8. Such a terrific score! I used to live around the corner from that spot. Such a diverse and remarkable neighborhood and clearly with some very generous and kind neighbors. Bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika! Aren't we lucky to live in Colorado? Not only a beautiful place but many beautiful people here as well. Hugs to you and Sam, Pat

      Delete
  9. Wow...what a treasure, for sure! And I love the story behind it which makes it even more special.
    Thank you for your vey lovely visit Pat,
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Alice! I loved writing this story and have been so pleased that quite a few people have appreciated it. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  10. Beautiful homes to walk off, as for the treasured find, this window and its history break to the pane and all is all the beauty of what we embrace in its age and history.
    The broken pane doesn't bother the window at all, it's a beautiful vignette.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dore! I always love old pieces that have an interesting history. That's what makes them special. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  11. What a lovely story and amazing window. It is gorgeous and you have it styled beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous old window and a lovely vignette. Aren't you glad you went for a walk that day?! The kindness of strangers is touching. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit. Yes, I'm definitely glad I walked down that street and found such treasures. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  13. Lovely story, not only for the gift of the window but also the gift of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute story, I had to laugh. I would have been kind of suspicious too. Is he offering me free antiques to get me inside and tell me to put the lotion on. LOL The window is amazing Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! I'm still laughing at your comment! Too funny. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness! What a lovely treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. I was amazed that it fit perfectly on top of this chest. Meant to be I guess. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  16. Pat, such a sweet storyand a gorgeous window. You found the perfect place to display it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! For me, old pieces are all about the stories that come with them. Hope you're having a great week. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  17. Pat, What a wonderful story with such a happy ending! How nice of them to gift you with this lovely window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! I love a story with a happy ending! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  18. Oh it is beautiful!
    We collected windows too at one point and I still have one in my craft room....but this one is so wonderful!!
    Great find!
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! Did you sell your collection? It's so hard to part with wonderful old things. Have a good week. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  19. This is STUNNING! I wish I could find something like this in our neighborhood... So far all I've seen is an old leather love seat sitting out on the side of the road, ha. Thanks for sharing!

    Annie
    livelikesaintmartha.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! Don't give up...maybe you'll see the matching chair on the side of the road! Ha! Pat

      Delete
  20. What a beautiful piece Pat! Those pretty windows are hard to find around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pamela. Keep looking, you never know what you might find. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  21. I love stories like this Pat. It's a gorgeous window! I would love to run across two generous men in bath robes. :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny Jann. You always make me laugh. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  22. Lucky YOU! It's beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. This had to be one of my favorite walks! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  23. I love your wonderful story of discovery and appreciation of the beauty of things. It is a gorgeous piece and with such a wonderful memory attached.

    Congratulations,
    Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I love this story too and enjoyed writing about it. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  24. How pretty! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely story, Pat, and a such a beautiful "gift" from strangers :) The window is absolutely to die for!! Thanks for sharing it with us all at Vintage Charm--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diana! It really was a gift and one that will bring a smile to my face whenever I see the window. Hugs, Pat

      Delete