Friday, September 15, 2017

French Country: A Quiet Transition into Fall

Fall arrives next week and I find I'm looking around the house, wondering how I will transition
my decor into the new season. I want to keep it simple and dramatic all at the same time.


Fall decor takes it cue from nature: hillsides covered in gold, 
bugling elk in the mountain meadows, leaves crunching underfoot, 
fruit pies warm from the oven, and cool, fresh air.

Definitely one of my favorite times of year.


I thought I'd try a fall look on my chippy red farm table.
All the paint colors, chips and scars tell a story of a well-loved piece
so sometimes I leave it bare.


Here's the current look -- summery, fresh, ready for a picnic.


But with fall just around the corner, it's time for a mini-makeover.

It's always fun to look back for inspiration.
This earthy basket filled with apples was from last year's dining room table. 


The southwestern look always makes me think of fall trips to Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico. 


White pumpkins, antlers and nuts on a white platter is simple fall perfection. 


OK, so I'm inspired. Let's get busy.

First thing I do is remove everything from the table and start from scratch.
I love vintage tablecloths so I pull a couple of my favorites out of my storage cupboard 
to see what might bring a fall flavor to the table.
This little table is the perfect size for old tablecloths.


I also consider a burlap runner.


But finally decide on this squash-colored tablecloth, a gift from my dear friend, Rusty. 
I love its simple, warm beauty, perfect for fall.

Oh, and I just have to tell you about this little chair I found at Goodwill for $12. 
The wood was dull and extremely dried out; the legs and seat were clogged with dirt and cobwebs. But it was sturdy and I could see its hidden beauty so I took it home and cleaned it up.
A furniture expert told me it's probably English and from the 1800s. 
It's actually quite comfortable and now I'm always watching Goodwill for its mate!


Back to decorating for fall. What kind of centerpiece should I use?
We often think of brilliant red leaves and bright orange pumpkins for fall color
but neutrals can be just as seasonal and as lovely.
Gathering several objects, I'll try different arrangements and see what works.

Maybe some ironstone and an old breadboard.
Love how it looks but it may be too much for such a small table.
The small basket with the forks in it graced our supper table every night when I was growing up.
It was always filled with sliced white Wonder bread.


I like to use a tray or platter as a base. 
It anchors the centerpiece and makes it easy to move when we want to use the table.


Aren't these little metal chicks adorable?


Baskets have a nice natural feel that quietly complement the season.


I'm liking this neutral palette indoors this fall so I'll enjoy the bright colors outside.


Happy Fall Everyone!

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's FREE) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards and see all my favorite photos.
Thanks!!!

***

Linking with:
Shabby Art BoutiqueBlue Willow HouseLittle FarmsteadRustic & RefinedDwellings,
Between Naps on the PorchCoastal CharmStone GableA Stroll Thru LifeSavvy Southern Style,
A Delightsome LifeHave a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson21 Rosemary LaneKatherine's Corner,
My Thrift Store AddictionFrench Country Cottage

27 comments:

  1. I love your red chipped farm table and wouldn't want to cover it at all.
    It is beautiful just the way it is:)
    Happy decorating!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! Thanks so much. I love that table too. Found it at the Vintage Whites market last year. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  2. You have so many great pieces it would be hard for me to decide and i love your chippy red table and your new chair. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene! Surprisingly, that little chair is really comfortable tho it doesn't look like it would be. Hope you have a great weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. What lovely photos. Everything is so pretty and just right for Fall. Thanks for sharing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marilyn. Isn't this a pretty time of year? Everything is changing, getting softer, more cozy. Enjoy the season. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  4. Beautiful fall colors! Everything you have would look great on your table, baskets, boards, ironstone, love it all! Happy Fall. Xo Lidy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lidy! It's fun to change things up inside with the seasons. I'm looking forward to the big change when all the leaves, especially in the high country, turn to gold. Enjoy! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  5. Great ideas! We're getting our first cool weather finally! You've inspired me to do my own post on the French Country decor in my home :) Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! It's nice to hear you're inspired. I'll have to check out your blog. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
    2. Here's my post, if you're interested- http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/2017/09/my-french-scandinavian-country-decor.html Nancy

      Delete
  6. Very pretty Sister. I love the combinations you have come up with. My favorite is the basket of apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! It's funny how things can look totally different when you shake things up. I love the basket of apples too. Hope you're having a good weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. Autumn...my favorite time of year. Another lovely bunch of creative ideas to transition from Summer to Fall. Great find on the Goodwill chair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Monika! I appreciate your sweet words. I'll probably never find the mate to that chair but I keep looking. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  8. It is interesting to read of your creative process. I suspect that your mind is subconsciously always taking in your surrounds in preparation for your next decorative arrangement. Enjoy your cosy moments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have inspired me to get busy. You have the perfect vignettes to say Fall has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful vignettes and beautiful collections creating a warm and cozy home for Fall....and love that chippy red table!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley! I think that old red table is my favorite possession! Happy Fall to you, Pat

      Delete
  11. Lots of beautiful ideas here and it's time for me to gather all of my baskets. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! Baskets are such an easy accessory (and usually inexpensive!). Have fun arranging yours. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  12. I love the freshness of the neutrals Pat. One can never go wrong with ironstone! I love baskets and scales in my groupings as well. The chair was a great find and perfect size for your chippy red table! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Jann! Good to hear from you; hope you're doing well. We could probably switch houses and feel right at home! You always like the same stuff I do. Big hugs, Pat

      Delete
  13. Very lovely Pat! Thank you for sharing @Vintage Charm! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much! Always enjoy your party! Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete