Friday, September 8, 2017

French Country Garden: Endless Summer

Just when I thought summer was over, 
a new flush of late-blooming flowers burst upon the scene in my French Country garden.


Is it the slightly cooler weather and a bit more rain that gave my garden a second wind?
After an afternoon shower, everything is fresh, dust bathed away and stale air cleansed.


Pools of watery crystal beads lie on a rose bush leaf like a broken string of pearls.


Whatever the reason, gorgeous flowers are sprinkled throughout the garden
that I thought had run out of gas. 


They're even sprouting in the cracks in the sidewalk.


I'd just finished cutting some perennials down to their fresh basal growth 
when I noticed this unexpected flush of flowers.

(The tall pink flower is agastache, my favorite perennial.)


These yellow flowers have popped up everywhere.
Good thing I like them!

(Rudbeckia are easy to grow and reseed themselves.)


I have big trees in my yard so my garden is quite shady.
I don't get masses of flowers
which may be why I appreciate each singular flower more.

(White flowers are garlic chives in bloom.)


The potted plants have taken off too.


These urns have never looked so lush and full.


Can you spot my little garden assistant, never too far away?


Hopefully, my late-bloomers will last through September 
when golden hues paint the aspen trees 
and asters add a soft shade of purple to the garden.


I have learned many life lessons from Mother Nature and I think this time
she is telling me when you feel like you've run out of gas and are ready to quit,
think about these late-bloomers and don't give up. Your season isn't over yet.
Draw on your inner strength and you may get another chance to bloom again.

(Japanese anemone buds ready to bloom).


I'm grateful for this endless summer in the garden. 
Truly a blessing.

Thinking of our friends in Texas, Florida and the Northwest. 

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's FREE) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards to see my favorite photos.
Thank you!!

***

Linking with:
Little FarmsteadShabby Art BoutiqueBlue Willow HouseDwellingsBetween Naps on the Porch,
Coastal CharmStone GableA Stroll Thru LifeSavvy Southern StyleA Delightsome Life,
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson21 Rosemary LaneKatherine's CornerMy Thrift Store Addiction,
French Country Cottage

19 comments:

  1. Rain really is the best thing for boosting flowers and yours are great. Thanks to you and your assistant for sharing these wonderful pictures. Prayers going out to all those hurricane victims. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene! Thanks so much for your sweet words. In a way, I hate to see the garden season coming to an end. The upside is we start looking inward, including our home so looking forward to making some changes inside. Hugs from me and my assistant! Pat

      Delete
  2. It is amazing what a little rain can do . . . and the way the air smells after a rain is glorious:)
    Enjoy your garden . . . winter is coming.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Connie! We don't get much rain here so when we do, we enjoy it! I don't even want to think about winter but I do love Fall. Hope you're having a good weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. I just love it when the garden gets a second wind. The cooler weather and rains do everybody a little bit of good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey, True. While some plants are dying out, others are just getting started! Enjoying our cooler weather and hope you are too. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  4. Your garden is so pretty for this time of year! I enjoyed seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! So nice to hear from you and glad you enjoyed the post. Hope you visit again soon. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  5. Lovely! Your coleus plants are thriving! Your garden assistant is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole and thanks for your kind words. I've never grown coleus before and have been pleasantly surprised at how big they are. Putting them on my next-year list. My garden assistant, Roxy, sends kissies. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  6. I love the last sentence about not running out of gas and just keep going. How true. The garden here are in the last bloom of summer. Your favorite plant is one of mine also. Mine is purple and is as high as the top of the windows on the garden shed. Love it . Thoughts and prayers for all those affected by the storms .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan! I hate to see summer ending but now we have Fall to look forward to. . . and a visit! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. I love this post, especially the last part! I'm trying hard to keep going and getting more done in my gardens. I still have lots of color and late bloomers in my gardens too this year. I love your little pup too. Makes me miss my little garden helper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna! You can do it! There's always a lot of clean up and maintenance in the late garden but it will look so nice and neat when done. My pup, 11 years old, is great company for me and I understand how you must miss your little helper. Sending a big hug and dog kissies, Pat

      Delete
  8. Your morning glories are gorgeous. We haven't had any afternoon showers in my 'hood and things are looking a bit bedraggled in these 90 degree days. Even the plumbago is starting to turn mahogany colored and signaling it's ready for a change in temps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is still lovely. Enjoy because cooler weather is on the way, or at least I hope so. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden is just beautiful! Thank you for sharing @Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a lovely garden, I love the flowers that will soon be gong away.
    Thank you for sharing on Oh My Heartsie Girls WW.
    Come again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lindo jardim, lindas flores. Feliz fim de semana.

    ReplyDelete