Friday, April 19, 2019

Spring Garden Update

When warm weather arrives, 
I can't wait to head outside to work (and play) in my garden. 

Honestly, I don't even think about indoor decorating once the garden calls.
It's like my favorite naturalist, John Muir, said, "The mountains are calling and I must go."

For me, spring is calling and I must go!
It won't be long til the allium and phlox, early bloomers, 
are blooming and the garden looks like this photo from last year.


This year I finally ordered a load of compost (a level amount in the bed of a pickup truck), 
to enrich my soil and feed my plants. 

Let me tell you, my friends, a "yard" of compost is a LOT of compost. 
The pile under the white tarp was originally double the size in this photo.
It's gradually shrinking. 


I've spread it over the bare spots in my lawn and sprinkled grass seed, 
then added it to all my perennial beds and put some aside to mix in 
with my potting soil when it's time to plant flowers. 

And guess what?
I still have enough left over to cover both of my neighbors' yards!

Ron also pruned a dead limb from the big ash tree this year 
and I snagged the smaller branches to lay over the seed. 


Hopefully, this will keep birds and squirrels from snacking on the seeds. 


We recently had a big snowstorm and the moisture should help the seeds germinate. 
Once the snow is melted, I'm going to spread more compost on the lawn.
That can't happen too soon. 


Although I'm fine with using dried or artificial plants indoors, 
there's one faux thing I can't handle. 
Artificial Grass!

Yes, the real thing is more work but you can't beat walking on a cool grassy lawn 
in your bare feet on a hot summer day -- once the snow melts. 

***

11 comments:

  1. Yes we've had tons of rain here and things are warming up and drying. 80 today, weird! Waiting for my alliums to bloom too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your garden in bloom.

    Have a lovely Easter weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow in April? Oh my, we have been working on the back and front yard since Jan/Feb. The tulips and daffodils came and went; the cacti are in bloom, red, pink and yellow beautiful blossoms; the Asiatic Lilies will bloom next week. We have lots of bushes that bloom all year long, lantana, oleander trees - there are many more that I don't know their names but the hummingbirds love them. As Monet said: "I must, must have flowers." Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Work and work, but it does pay off when we can set and enjoy the grass and blooms, thanks for sharing, know it will all look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told you when we talked that I love your garden. I can hardly wait to see what it looks like this summer. Hope the storm was not too bad. I think we got our love of growing things from Dad. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your early spring garden is wonderful! Will look forward to seeing what it does the rest of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure your garden will be extra special and beautiful this year Pat with all that love and care.
    Thanks for sharing this week at Create, Bake, Grow & Gather. I'm delighted to be featuring your garden update at tonight's party and pinning too.
    Hugs,
    Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pat! Love love love your garden from last summer... sigh! I keep thinking we will NEVER get rid of all of the fallen and squished-into-the-soil acorns so we can lay down some compost and grass seed. But I know we will get there eventually!

    Anyway... thank you for sharing your post with Share Your Style this week. I'll be featuring it next week at SYS #206, thank you!

    Hugs,
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as spring goes. I can't wait to see your whole back yard in full bloom. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Pat,
    Your yard and gardens should look beautiful this year with the new soil. Your photo of last year's flowers is so gorgeous.

    Hang in there. Surely this is your last snowfall for this spring.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete