Friday, January 26, 2018

~~ Six Ways to Add French Soul to your Kitchen ~~

Many of us who love the ease and warmth of French Country style would like
to enhance that feeling in our kitchens -- the heart of our home.

So, here are six simple ways I add some warm and welcoming
French soul to my kitchen.

TEXTURE 

1. Mixing textured and smooth surfaces, vintage and modern, old brick and stone, wood and tile all contribute to a rich depth in the kitchen.

Marble countertops look beautiful but stain easily and require maintenance so you could consider white quartz or butcher block. I have a slab of marble on top of a wooden cabinet that satisfies my "marble envy" without having to re-do my countertops. 




FURNITURE 

2. Most authentic French Country kitchens do not have built-in cabinets. Rather they incorporate stand-alone furniture such as hutches, armoires, cupboards and open shelving.

This small cabinet gives my kitchen a curated-over-time feel and adds the warmth of natural wood as well as extra counter space. 


COLOR

3. Color plays an important role in the soul of a French kitchen. Soft, muted tones bring the feeling of country to the kitchen. If you have an island, you could consider painting it a different color than your cabinets for contrast and to enhance that feeling that it was collected over time.

My walls are painted a pale buttery yellow and my cabinets are a creamy white. It's interesting to note that yellow is considered by the color experts an uplifting color, offering hope and happiness and giving warmth even on a cold, cloudy day. White opens our minds to create and appears fresh and clean, both appropriate colors for a kitchen.


FARMHOUSE SINK 

4. Although the most critical things in your kitchen are probably your appliances, I think a farmhouse sink with a French-inspired faucet adds tons of French soul. A farmhouse sink is definitely on my wish list.

Note the beadboard backsplash that gives the kitchen a French farmhouse flavor. Old black and white Parisian postcards and a market basket rev up that French soul mood. 


ACCESSORIES

5. What French Country kitchen would be complete without accessories? Accessories are a fun and inexpensive way to add warmth and charm to a room that can feel too sterile. Whether it's copper pots and pans, fresh flowers, an ironstone collection on display, or a strutting rooster, accessories complete the story.  


Baskets for storage, rush seats on chairs, or fabrics (toile, lace, ticking) on window treatments
or skirted under your sink all add more texture and age.

Use old pitchers or crocks to hold a bouquet of cooking utensils and old wooden spoons. 


FARM TABLE

6. And finally, my number one way to add French soul to your kitchen is, ta dah, . . . a chippy old farm table! If you have room in your kitchen for an eat-in space, a worn table and chairs will make your friends and family feel like they've stepped into an old-world French farmhouse oozing with soul and character.

Because my kitchen is so small, I placed my farm table and chairs in my adjacent sunroom but it works just as well. Note the contrast of the distressed table with the elegant candelabra (purchased at the Vintage Whites Market in Denver!)


There are many more ways to add a little French soul and style to your kitchen 
such as artwork, white dishes, farm animals (my personal favorite), or lighting.


I hope this post may have given you a few ideas to try
that could add some French soul to your kitchen.

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's FREE) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards to see all my favorite photos.
Thank you!!

***

33 comments:

  1. Great job and I love seeing your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite beautiful. Love your collection of white pitchers. If anything says French, yours sure do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika. I guess I do have a little problem with white pitchers. Can't get enough! Happy Weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. Great list, Pat. I love the buttery yellow color, your accessories and your token marble slab. I love how you state it satisfies your marble envy. That's such a healthy way of being! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rita! I appreciate your sweet words. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  4. I love your kitchen and your ideas,thanks and have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post! I enjoyed seeing your kitchen and gleaning the fresh ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post . . . so much charm. I love peeking into other blogging sister's homes. Your kitchen is so pretty.
    Have a sweet weekend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you're such a sweetie. You can peek anytime! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. Love the fresh clean look of the kitchen. Good color combinations. Let's have a cup of tea and some scones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been to France but I imagine copper pots hanging on the wall, hemp kitchen towels stacked on the counter, tiled floors, definitely ironstone pitchers, and original art on the walls. That's my imagination of Country French. One day I will visit France.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Ann! Your imaginary kitchen sounds perfect. I love the look of copper pans on a wall too but am not sure how easy they are to take care of. One day ... Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all of your ideas for adding French soul to your kitchen. Your kitchen is so charming and I particularity love the red chippy table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your farm table is wonderful. I've been searching for a long narrow one for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love my farm table too. I found it at a Vintage Whites market a few years ago. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  12. I have a French inspired kitchen and delighted to see I did a few things right - farmhouse sink with a tall faucet like yours but mine is burnished copper, butter yellow walls, French scenes and French language pieces on the walls, and a bunch of chickens on the counter in the book stand, trivets, spoon rest and figurines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, your kitchen sounds lovely. I will check out your blog and see if I can find some pixs of it. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  13. You have a great kitchen. Loved all the "French Country" ideas. I have the roosters! Ha! Lavender -- I need more lavender! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Snap! I always say you can't have too much lavender! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  14. I love it all - so warm and cozy! This will sound funny but the thing that jumped out to ME first is that adorable salt and pepper set! Going to have to get me one of those!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! I love those S&P shakers too. Found at an antique mall last year. So cute. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  15. So pretty. A very nice romantic type feel
    #amazememonday
    Katelynn, hampersandhiccups.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much Katelynn. I appreciate your sweet comments. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  16. I am enchanted by the warmth and beauty of your lovely kitchen. It's so cozy -- I could drink tea or cocoa there for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pat, I love how your bring French Country into your home! I have tried doing a few of these things. I painted my island a color to soften all of the wood. I find it's a lot easier to bring this style into my basement kitchen than the one upstairs. :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful post Pat! I love that big basket on top of your fridge and the lavender and candlight on your table! Thank you for sharing at TFT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was a brilliant decoration nice to see it thanks for sharing it.

    modular kitchen company in bangalore

    ReplyDelete