Friday, April 1, 2016

How to Blend French Country and Farmhouse Styles

Farmhouse style isn't so very different from French Country style. 
They are, after all, both in the country, both easy and casual, 
and both feature gently used furniture and accessories. 
So how do you blend the two? It's easy.


These two styles are interchangeable in many ways so it's easy to mesh them.
My living and dining areas are more French Country
with a light and airy feel, comfortable seating, natural wood tones and old mirrors.


Still, there's some Farmhouse style apparent in the dining room
with a mantle that was rescued from a pre-Civil War farmhouse
and a chippy storage cabinet.


My kitchen and sunroom have even more of a Farmhouse feel with 
painted furniture, vintage accessories and a scattering of farm animals.


Here are some specific ideas to bring the two styles together in your home.

Open Shelving

Both styles feature open shelves in the kitchen, but if you don't have room for them
you can remove a cabinet door, paint your cabinets a creamy color and
display your favorite ironstone pitchers. 


Beadboard and Glass Jars

Adding some white beadboard as a backsplash 
and some vintage glass jars for storage add texture and functionality.
Both of these ideas could work for either style.


French-inspired Faucet and Farm Sink

You can switch out an old faucet for a pretty French Country look and 
hope to someday have a beautiful farmhouse sink! The best of both worlds!


Keep Utensils Accessible

Using ironstone pitchers to hold silverware also works for either style.


Bring Home the Cows

Add some farmyard animals here and there to bring country into your space
like this picture of a calf in my kitchen painted by a young Amish girl
whose job it was to care for the newborn calves.


You could also feature a few little cow creamers, 
some old, some new, in a rustic white shelf.


Another fave farm animal is, no surprise here, the rooster (and chicken).
You don't want to go overboard with roosters but a few here and there definitely make a statement.
A rooster plate on the wall, a chicken timer, a few chicks on top of the fridge, 
or some paintings of roosters make the kitchen feel homey. 


Sparkle with Vintage Accessories

Old baskets and mirrors, vintage cutting boards, rusted enamelware, crocks, 
weathered boxes, paintings and vintage fabrics like grain sacks or old tablecloths
can all be part of your French Country/Farmhouse style.


Go All Out with Farmhouse Pretties

My sunroom/breakfast room used to be primarily southwestern but I'm gradually
transforming it to incorporate Farmhouse style. You can do this too by adding
a weathered farm table, painted furniture, and rustic accessories.


An old red and white stepladder, a Nebraska license plate, some Mason jars, vintage tins,
an old pump, and a touch of metal all bring Farmhouse elements to this room.


Make it Cozy

Nothing says French Country Farmhouse like a fireplace.
If you don't have a wood-burning fireplace, you can install a cast iron gas stove
or a thick area rug to warm the room.
Add some comfortable chairs that look out at the garden.


 I hope these suggestions help you bring that informal French Country/Farmhouse spirit 
into your home, whether you just add a little cow creamer to your kitchen 



34 comments:

  1. Fun to see how you add these details to your home. Ours is an eclectic mix of English country and French country with a bit of Americana mixed in. I'm an eclectic kind of girl. I like to live with things that make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Sarah and I bet your home is beautiful. English country is so cozy and French country adds that special touch. So glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  2. How pretty, warm and inviting is your French country/ farm house look at it's best!
    I love all your details and accessories to achieve just the eclectic decoration you wanted to achieve. Perfect!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Fabby! I'm glad you stopped by for a visit.

      Delete
  3. Your home is so lovely. That rustic red folded table has my heart.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia. I wrote a separate post (Love at first sight) about the red table. You can find it in the archives if you want to read it. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Hi Amalia, Thanks so much for your sweet comments. Hope you stop by again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your ideas! I think I have some French Country and Farmhouse style with a little Industrial thrown in. It all works. Your home is so pretty and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much AnnMarie. I think a lot of styles can work together if you love them and they "go."

      Delete
  6. After your great explanation, I think I do a little mixing of both styles. Didn't know.... I just decorated with items I love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and hope you stop by again.

      Delete
  7. Your living room looks like a most wonderful, cozy place to share tea and conversation with a friend! And I love the vintage glass canisters. I'm your neighbor at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your lovely style at SYC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome. Hope you stop by for another visit soon.

      Delete
  9. Pinning and sharing your lovely vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could seriously define my decorating style, but I much like Sarah a mix. I longed to be French country, but I think I am a mix of Texas Hill country too!
    Anyway, I love your style and your tips are just perfect.
    Thank you for sharing them with us today at Thoughts Of Home On Thursday,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home is lovely and the styles you use mix so perfectly. sb

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love your farmhouse table.

    Thanks for sharing this beautiful inspiration with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very pretty!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

  14. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Pat! Love your photos and all of your lovely pics of your home. I am giving you a feature tomorrow morning for "Let's Talk Vintage!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the mixture of the two and you have done it so wonderfully! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pat, just hoping back to let you know that you will be featured at SYC later today.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never get enough of your home decor, Pat, and your tips on how to mix farmhouse and French were right on. Thanks so much for linking up your posts at Vintage Charm--we do enjoy having you at the party :) Pinned to our VC features board.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Pat
    I am the blogger that lives in Littleton, Colorado,and unfortunately lost the e-mail you sent to me a month or so ago about meeting up one day. I'm glad I saw you featured on "Have a Daily Cup" Your home is cvery charming. Mine is full of toys, as I babysit a young granddaughter most days

    ReplyDelete
  20. Few kitchen styles offer a more homely and welcoming environment than a country kitchen. Plot for Sale in Lahore its really very nice and informative post.
    Plots for sale in Paragon City

    ReplyDelete
  21. I downsized to a tiny vintage farmhouse that is just 560 sq ft. It is done in farmhouse style with pops of french decor. I like to mix it up and think folks should surround themselves with what they love. Like your style. Nice blog - Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete