Friday, September 14, 2018

Aftermath -- the Cabin Break-In

Hi Guys!
Before I begin this post, I want to thank all of you for your thoughtful comments 
regarding the break-in of our cabin. I've never received that many comments on any post! 
Each comment was so supportive and sympathetic. I appreciate all your suggestions. 
We are in the process of replacing our door with something stronger and safer. 
 Thank you so much for caring. 

Now, on to this week's post . . . 

I'm actually feeling much better after scattered bouts of anger and sadness.
We've taken precautions and several of our mountain neighbors 
are keeping an eye on the cabin for us.
I don't want to let this incident take away from enjoying the cabin so life goes on. 

And what a life!
This week we were greeted by a wondrous scene at the cabin. 
The first snow!
Seems too early for it but at 11,000 feet, I guess it comes early. 

The cabin wore a dusting of pure white snow, 
making it look like a powdered sugar cookie . . . 


. . . while the meadow glistened and the majestic mountains gleamed. 

It was breathtaking, seeming to wash away any scary memories of the break-in. 


After removing the boarded-up doorway to the cabin, 
we went inside. I wasn't sure how I would feel. 
It's a creepy feeling to think about an intruder being in your home.

It was very cold inside but everything looked fine. 
Maybe our little Yei statue kept the cabin safe. (A Yei is a Navajo spirit diety.)


And, let me tell you, nothing lifts my spirits more than finding a great bargain at a thrift store.
While looking for a new cabin door at Habitat for Humanity, we found this gorgeous loveseat!
The perfect size, the red plaid I wanted, super comfy, and only $45!
It looked brand new so we hauled it up to the cabin in the back of our CRV. 
But just barely.


I spent a couple of hours moving it here and there, trying to find the perfect spot.
I think I found it!
The room actually feels bigger with this arrangement
even though it has a big piece of furniture in it now. 


Here's the perspective from the loveseat. Note the back door is still boarded up from the break-in.


Both seats have wonderful views of the mountains.
It doesn't get much better than this.


Thanks again for all your good wishes and hugs.

***

I'd love it if you follow me by email.
Just subscribe in the upper right column of this page.
Thank you!!

33 comments:

  1. A lovely new addition to an adorable cabin. I only wish the snow would present itself in the form of rain 'down' the hill. We can sure use it in these multiple 90+ degree days in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika! It probably won't be long til we get some moisture in Denver. I'm ready for cooler weather. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  2. Pat, just now reading about the break in. I'm sad this happened! I totally understand your feelings. Why anyone would thing folks would leave valuables in a cabin in the mountains is strange.
    I like the new red checked sofa. So cheerful! Just what you needed to brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! Hopefully now that the burglar has seen our cabin inside, he/she knows there's nothing of value in there and won't be back. Glad you like to loveseat. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. The sofa is so cheery and just the right look for a cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new loveseat! It looks perfect in the cabin decor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sight to see that snow! I'll never forget the first time I was in CO (Estes Park) and watched a snow storm come rolling through - breathtaking! And what a great find for the cabin in that loveseat. Best wishes for moving forward.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Rita! I wonder what it will be like at the cabin when we get a "real" snowstorm. Glad you like the loveseat. Just what I wanted. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  6. That is a charming loveseat and looks perfect in your cabin. The fact you got snow gives me a big hint me where you cabin is located as I saw that on the news. I love that area of Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! So glad you like the loveseat. It's unbelievably comfortable. We lucked out finding this perfect mountain paradise. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. The mountain views are beautiful, and the red plaid loveseat is positively adorable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice! I couldn't agree more! Love at first sight. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  8. Its so cool to see snow this time of year...I know it was a huge treat for you after what you experience.

    I love the sofa...such a happy color, and checks, plaids and tartans are so "in" right now!!

    Happy Weekend!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. The snow didn't last long (this time) but it was glorious while it did. Glad you like the loveseat. Red is my favorite color and plaid, perfect! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  9. The first snow, i can almost smell and feel the briskness in the air. Your settee is the perfect piece for your cabin to make it cozy and warm. Have fun and i'll see you again in your next good adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marlene! Thanks so much for visiting. Too bad you can't visit me at the cabin!! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  10. Looks great and hang in there. We'll send some good vibes for protection :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the red buffalo check loveseat and it is just perfect in your cabin. I am so happy you are feeling better about the situation that happened at your cabin. The snow is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon!We are getting a new door this week; I will feel much better after that. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  12. What an amazing place to own! Sorry to hear it was broken into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pamela. I love the cabin. According to neighbors this has never happened before. I hope never again. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  13. Hey Sister, Love the look of the cabin. The love seat is a nice addition and it looks so cozy. We are having rain from the hurricane. It is an all day affair. Hopefully you will get some rain as you told me how dry everything is. What will they be able to do to increase your security at the cabin? I would hate to see it happen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! The loveseat was actually Brad's idea!!! We are getting a new door this week which will definitely make the cabin safer. Love and hugs, Pat

      Delete
  14. I was so sorry to read about the break-in. What an awful thing to have happen. But I love your new loveseat. Your cabin is darling and I surely hope nobody else will break in, ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy! Glad you like the loveseat. Me too! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  15. i live in a place too small for a sofa as well. i think the loveseat really anchors the seating, and looks charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear from another small-space-gal! It can be a challenge but it's all we need. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  16. What a great fit...and perfect for that spot! Sandi from VC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi from VC! Thanks so much for stopping by. Glad you like the loveseat! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  17. So happy for you! Looks like you landed right back on your collective feet....and great idea to check out Habitat for Humanity. Your love seat is more than perfect, and that check? I'm loving it! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete