Friday, July 13, 2018

Introducing Colorado Rustic Style

Hello My Friends!
Thank you all for your wonderful comments and interesting stories about altitude sickness.
I really appreciated hearing from you all but have not had time to answer each comment.

You may have noticed my blog hasn't been about French Country decorating lately. 
That's because my creative energy has been directed toward the mountain cabin 
I purchased about a month ago.


I wanted to let you know I'll probably be writing about the cabin this summer, 
returning to French Country decorating in my home in the fall. 
I hope you're enjoying hearing about the progress at the cabin as much as 
I'm loving every minute of this exciting new adventure.



So instead of French Country, I'm calling this summer's style Colorado Rustic. 
Although it is a rustic style, I think the area rugs, floor-to-ceiling drapes and 
Native American weavings add a softness to this more masculine look.
Wait til you see what I do with these green chairs! 


This beautiful weaving is an authentic Navajo shoulder robe or shawl
purchased in Taos, New Mexico many years ago. 
It may have been used as a young dancer's shawl.


So, on to the latest news . . . we had quite a scare this past week.
The day after we returned from the cabin due to altitude sickness,
a lightning strike caused a forest fire close to our cabin. 
This is just one of many fires scorching the western U.S. 
and my heart breaks for those who have lost their homes. 

WE LOVE OUR FIREFIGHTERS!!
The road to our cabin has been blocked by the state police unless you had proof of residency. 
So scary, watching the progress our amazing firefighters have made on the evening news and Facebook updates. As I write this, the Weston Pass fire is 63% contained. 
We felt somewhat safe because our cabin is in a marshy area 
surrounded by steep rocky mountains. Still, such a worry. 

Ironically, we met with an insurance underwriter at the cabin this week 
to see if our wood-burning cook stove is approved for a policy. 
Fingers crossed. I'll feel better if we have fire coverage. 


Oh, and speaking of marshy areas, guess who else likes our marsh. 
We were thrilled to see this 7-foot bull moose quite near the cabin --
probably a football field's length away!
Ron also saw a cow with a calf but they were too far away for a picture.


We are making good progress on cleaning up the problem areas
and I'm excited to cross things off our to-do list. 
This week, we are loading up our car with hopefully the last of the trash
to be removed and are working on a few small projects.

Most importantly, we are learning to relax and slow down
so we don't get altitude sickness again! 

***
If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's free) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards to see all my favorite photos.
Thank you!!

***

Linking with:
Shabby Art BoutiqueLittle FarmsteadRustic & RefinedOur Southern Home,
DwellingsThe Dedicated HouseBetween Naps on the PorchStone Gable,
A Stroll Thru LifeSavvy Southern StyleDesignthusiasmA Delightsome Life,
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. OlsonFollow the Yellow Brick HomeFrench Country Cottage

33 comments:

  1. I'll be in Ouray for a wedding soon so was very interested about the altitude sickness. My daughter is telling everyone to drink LOTS of water and no rushing around. Your cabin is so cute. The fires have to be a little scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daisy! A wedding in Ouray will be amazing. Your daughter offered some good advice. Have a wonderful time. XO, Pat

      Delete
  2. The fires would scare me too. I love hearing about what you do at the cabin. Can't wait to see what is next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! I have so many ideas, I can't sleep at night! XO, Pat

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about the altitude sickness and fires. I had the same problem when I visited Denver a number of years ago. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't breathe -- very scary! The cabin is an exciting adventure. We'd love for you to share it with us over at Vintage Charm! http://www.ourhopefulhome.com/2018/07/vintage-charm-party-141.html
    Hugs, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen. Yes, altitude sickness can be very scary. But lesson learned. Stay tuned, Pat

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen

      Delete
  4. Just so very very glad you are all right,when we didn't hear from you last Friday. I am here to see what ever you want to post your house your cabin it's all terrific. Glad you are safe from fire and hope the insurance is possible, see you when possible, the cabin is looking so very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern Marlene. All better now and hoping to go back to the cabin soon, moving slowly and drinking lots of water this time. Glad you like the cabin. XO, Pat

      Delete
  5. Please tell us ALL! Wonderful pics.Loving every stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cabin, love the Navajo wrap, the wildlife sightings and everything about this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita! So glad you're enjoying the adventure. Stay tuned, XO Pat

      Delete
  7. Love the wildlife around your cabin. Very special to have a getaway such as your cabin. I can't imagine what it would be like without electricity, TV, radio, phones. The quiet and peace must be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! The getaway I've always wanted. So far, am not missing anything except an indoor bathroom! XO, Pat

      Delete
  8. It must have been frightening knowing that forest fires could destroy your dream cabin even before you really have time to enjoy it. I do hope that all danger has passed by now. Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for those chairs.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! Yes, it was quite a scare but fires are out now. The mountains have been having some rain which is great for the firefighters. Can't wait to get back up there with my spray paint! XO, Pat

      Delete
  9. Your cabin redo is what brought me to your site! I’m glad I got in at the ground floor. Praying those fires are stayed. It would be awful for your adventure to end when you’ve only just started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found my site and hope you stay tuned. Fires are out, lots of rain. Wish I was there now. XO, Pat

      Delete
  10. Hi sis, I am looking forward to future posts about projects done on the cabin. We had such a good time when we were there. Especially dancing on the back porch to John Denver music. It would have been a little better if Brad had been feeling better. That , whatever he had , lasted until we hit Kansas. Can't wait to see the chairs painted that brown color. Are you going to add new cushions or use the ones that are there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! Special memories of my first overnight in the cabin! Check back to see how the chairs turn out. Wish we could go there again soon. Love, Pat

      Delete
  11. Love seeing all the fun cabin posts! I am an animal watcher so would love seeing all the wildlife , enjoy a fun filled summer at your new cabin! Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Am glad you're enjoying the cabin posts. We're hoping to see some more moose and some elk and maybe a bear from a safe distance. XO, Pat

      Delete
  12. Looks great! I would add, in a remote area, I wouldn't leave anything there you're not willing to lose to fire, theft or vandalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy Yes, you're right. Not taking anything to the cabin that I would hate to lose. This area looks pretty safe. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  13. Always a treat reading about your cabin!
    Thanks for sharing at Amaze Me Monday!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so jealous, wish I had a cabin, too! So glad the fires have passed. Can't wait to see what comes next! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you are doing and the outdoor photos too! What a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pat, so glad that the fire didn't get to your cabin. It's coming along so nicely. It's rustic, but you will give it a warm and cozy feel. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so wonderful Pat, I am so happy you get to embrace another side of your creativity and explore cabin style. Thanks so much for sharing with us at TFT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amber! I'm definitely having fun (and am a little obsessed with cabin style!). Have a great weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete