Friday, June 29, 2018

Is it Curtains for the Cabin?

No, I'm not giving up on my new mountain cabin already.
I really am talking about actual curtains.

Here's an overview of the main room in the 336 square-foot cabin. 
I'm loving the skylight and all the windows and how cozy it's feeling. 
Note the deer head? I've had it in storage for years and knew someday 
I would find the perfect place for my Dad's first deer. 


But first, I have to tell you about our unfortunate adventure with altitude sickness.
 Have you ever experienced it? Yuk, it's no fun, believe me.

The first day we were at the cabin we felt fine as did our little dog, Roxy.
This was her first visit to 11,000 feet. 

We celebrated my birthday with several glasses of wine, music on the CD player and watching the full moon rise eerily over the huge rocky mountain in front of our cabin. A lovely time.

The second day I decided to tackle an unsightly pile of logs, old roof shingles and weathered wood planks right in front of the cabin. It really made the place look untidy. 

I noticed I was breathing quickly but figured it was because I was working strenuously. 
Then, I started feeling nauseated and dizzy. But I kept going until the pile was cleaned up.
Type A I know. 

After I finished that project, I sat down for a drink of water and a brief rest. 
I thought I'd get right back at moving some white rocks with which the previous owner had outlined several paths. I wanted the area to look natural and neat paths just didn't work for me.

However, my symptoms got worse with a pounding headache and trips to the outhouse. Ugh. 
I gulped down some more water, took two aspirin and laid down for a rest. 
And spent most of the afternoon curled up on the bed as the room swirled around me.
How do mountain climbers do it? Guess their supplemental oxygen does the trick. 
At least I had the new comforter I'd bought for the cabin.


Ron was a little short of breath but felt better than me and Roxy. 
She was very lethargic, threw up a few times and took to her bed. 
We thought we'd feel better in the morning but no such luck. 

We decided we'd better pack up, leave right away and move down to a lower elevation. 
As we drove downhill, we began to feel better almost immediately. 
The next day back in Denver at 5,250 feet, we felt so much better 
and Roxy slowly regained her energy. 

I've since learned that we were supposed to take it easy and get acclimated to the altitude slowly,
not jumping right in to work on cabin projects as well as taking Roxy for a walk. 
I also learned alcohol at altitude is a no-no.
However, we did do the right thing by getting back down to a reasonable 9,000 feet.

So, lesson learned. Probably the first of many. 
This is a different world up here and we'll have to figure it all out. 
Slowly, this time. 

Meanwhile, back to curtains for the cabin.
At home, I sewed some curtains out of two T-towels to cover the open space 
under the kitchen sink that worked perfectly and looked cute.


I also made two cafe curtains out of some old flour bags 
to cover the back door window and the kitchen window.
You can see these in the first photo.

I used a fabric shower curtain, hanging it in the doorway into the bedroom. 
I clipped it onto a tension rod so it would slide easily and provide privacy.


Lastly I brought four tabbed panels from home 
to cover the three windows on the front of the cabin. 
They look so much prettier than the 1980's wooden blind that had been there (Before below) . . .


. . . softening up the room and providing good security coverage when we're not there. 


So, that's my latest tale. I think it had a happy ending. 


More to come as we navigate this new environment so stay tuned. 

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's free) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also view my Pinterest boards to see all my favorite photos.
Thank you!!!

***




17 comments:

  1. Your cabin is looking so cute! The sink skirt is so you. That view is stunning- I know it's a dream come true.

    We went snow skiing for the first time ever on our honeymoon and would you believe we had altitude sickness the first day? I had never even heard of it before that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have visited Denver in the past I felt it at 5000 feet, I couldn't drink any alcohol. 11000 would be difficult. I'm glad you are better and now you know how to acclimate. The full moon must have been beautiful. Curtains look cute and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember visiting Aspen right after high school and backpacking and passed out my first day there. Pretty embarrassing but after a day or two I started feeling a little better. And went and moved to Leadville Colorado for a year and went through major altitude sickness for months until I finally got used to it. It was a bit of a process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, in Utah at a ski resort, not fun!! Take care, your cabin is shaping up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beautiful view makes it! Hope you acclimate quickly. You’ve done so much already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of altitude sickness and do hope that it won't be a problem again. Start taking it a little bit easier . . . Rome wasn't built in a day, you know. Anyway, it looks like you have the cabin well decorated and comfortable inside. You have made a tremendous difference. I love all the little touches and the fact that now you have a place for your Dad's dear. I love the choice of a smaller table and two bigger comfortable chairs and the way you have them set up you have created a lovely "table with a view" . . . a beautiful view:)
    Happy cabin life!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always something,but adjustments can be made for this wonderful place. Looks so cute and cozy with just the little things you were able to accomplish. Thanks for taking pictures for us to see, you are blessed and sweet for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Pat, so sorry you got so sick, but glad you didn't end up in the ER!
    That cabin......wow! It's looking so good! I love all the soft touches with your linens. And the deer.....he'll be fun to decorate for the seasons with accessories. ;)
    Have a great 4th, however you celebrate freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having been up and down our French mountains without ever giving altitude sickness a thought, I wouldn't have thought to do so at your cabin either. Good to have your little tips on what to do if ever in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cabin is so sweet! That last picture looks like a postcard or a painting. Those mountains are huge and so beautiful. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cabin is coming along nicely. I love the things you have added. The view is spectacular. My youngest daughter gets altitude sickness too, but she lives in Florida now so not too much exposure to 11,000ft above sea level.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel so bad for you. I've never been sick at high altitudes, but I did worry I'd have problems with my asthma. I never have, and I really didn't know anything about what you went through. Will it happen every time you go to your cabin? Ugh...

    But---I am in LOVE with it. Your new quilt and the homemade curtain really give it an old time vibe, like you've lived there forever. Keep up the good work, but please, go slowly!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. A friend of ours became very ill form altitude sickness in Breckenridge. He got pulmonary edema dn had to be hospitalized for a few days! Now he carries an O2 monitor and checks his oxygen levels when ever he goes above 6-000 feet. Drinking lots of water helps, and there is a medication you can take which increases your red blood cells--another friend has to take that before she skis in Colorado. Alcohol is definitely a no no. I'm sure your body will adjust with time--just don't try to do too much at once! Your cabin is so charming and I know you will amke it a very special place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yup...alcohol and altitude is a real no-no if your not acclimated. And it's absolutely imperative to stay extra hydrated. Great progress thus far, but then I had no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a great little cabin - those views, oh my gosh they are heavenly!!!! Wishing you much happiness in your new cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you got better! I'm sure you'll figure it all out and all of you will adjust. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm:) xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete