Saturday, March 17, 2018

French Country Cabin???

Hi Friends! If you've been following my blog for the last couple of years, 
you know I've been dreaming of a mountain cabin forever. 
Someplace where I can get away from the city's noise and crowds and traffic and noise, 
well, you get the picture. 

What is my cabin inspiration? 
My house's little sunroom that feels like a cozy cabin, with its gas stove and wood walls.
Most of the photos in this post are from that room.
In fact, this room might be empty after I furnish the cabin!


I always feel relaxed and grounded when I go to the mountains. 
Like it's someplace I'm supposed to be. 
I actually lived in the mountains for seven years when I first moved to Colorado but 
when a divorce and winter driving wore me down, I moved into town. 
Wish I had kept that little house; it would have been a perfect getaway now.


So, here I am some thirty years later, yearning for a little cabin secluded in the mountains. 
And, BIG NEWS, I finally contacted a realtor and started the search in earnest! 
The first thing I did was make a list (yes, I'm one of those people who loves lists) of what I wanted. 



Here's my Wish List:
1) A rustic cabin, (NOT a "cottage" with three bedrooms and two bathrooms!) under 500 square feet. One big room would be fine. Water and electricity nice but not a necessity. 

2) At least one acre, preferably more. No, definitely more. 

3) Under an hour and a half  from my house in Denver. (OK, maybe I'd go another half hour if it was perfect).

4) Lots of pine trees and a mountain view.

5) Within my budget. (That will be tough as the Denver area is booming and prices have soared).


Guess I sound like those couples on HGTV's House Hunters International 
who want everything they had back in the states. 
I know I'll have to be flexible on some things on my list but at least I won't be 
that woman who keeps whining, "But it's so small." 
I want small. 


So, we sit down with a realtor whose enthusiasm is contagious. 
After hearing my list, he tells me he'll set up an alert on the MLS, Multiple Listing Service, 
for properties I might like to see. 

After the first day, I feel completely overwhelmed. 
My head is spinning. I can't think of anything else. 
I try to focus on those listings that speak to me.


A couple of days later, Realtor Phil, Ron and I hit the road to view three properties. 
Even if they aren't exactly what I want, this is a good exercise. 
It gives me the opportunity to see just how big 500 square feet is and what I can get for the money. One we see is too close to the main road, another is too close to the neighbors, 
and the third is a tiny home (less than 200 square feet) on seven just-right acres.


Of course, I fall in love with the tiny house property -- the trees, massive rock outcroppings, mountain views. BUT, the tiny house is really really tiny (whine!). 
I think they were counting the deck and storage unit in that 200 square feet.



But, I think it's a possibility if I have a contractor build an extra room onto the current house.  
Oh dear, now I'm going over my budget.


So, I wake up dreaming of how I'd decorate this tiny home 
when Realtor Phil emails me some disturbing info he's discovered. 
These are things you should definitely check into when house hunting. 
Problems with zoning, road maintenance, and, since it's new, 
little possibility for negotiating the price. 
So, sadly, it gets crossed off. Imagine a black slash through this photo. 


Still, I believe my dream cabin is out there. 
I hope you'll join me on this journey and wish me luck. 
And yes, my mountain cabin will have a touch of French Country. 
Maybe a small white hutch on one wall, a butcher block countertop,
 a couple of big comfy chairs and  . . . stay tuned.

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's FREE) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards to see all my favorite photos.
Thank you!!!

***



34 comments:

  1. How exciting, don't settle for what you don't think will work! Your just starting this process and your going to see lots of "warts" before your "Frog Princess" of a cabin is found. I wish you all the best on your search. And in the meantime, I don't think stashing away a few items of decor would come amiss!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement! Look out Frogs! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  2. Your excitement is contagious and I look forward to being on this county cabin search with you. Have fun.

    Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! So glad you're joining me on my search. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to following your search, it’s very exciting! I remember when we were looking for our mountain Cabin, we searched and searched, some in Massachusetts Berkshire area, some in upstate New York’s Catskills area and some in central PA. We put in some offers, lost a few bids, even considered some real fixer upper places, we would get excited and then defeated. It took almost two years but our perfect Cabin appeared when we least expected it. We have had our place for 13 years now, it’s in the mountains of central PA on a private lane surrounded by Bald Eagle State Forest. I know that the right place is waiting for you and I wish you many wonderful years enjoying your mountain! Enjoy the search, it’s part of the dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story with me Diva Kreszl! It helps me be realistic about the search and knowing it may take a while. I so appreciate your encouragement. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  4. I want a mountain cabin too but mine must be in Georgia. So for now I'll live vicariously through you! Good luck, I know you will find something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Live along with me on my search! You're always welcome to drop in. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing your cabin search with us at Snickerdoodle.

      Delete
  5. Good for you to follow your dreams! Good luck on your search for your dream cabin. It is out there! When my hubby and I first married we lived in a 600 sq ft house. We loved it and wished we had kept the house when we moved. My hubby has moved on to the stars, but I have sweet memories of that lovely little house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement Snap. Sometimes smaller is better huh? I'm looking forward to creating sweet memories like yours. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  6. Best of luck to you in the search for a perfect getaway! Very envious & looking forward to the upcoming hunt. Location, location, location: it's the factor you cannot alter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! You're right about location and will probably make the search a little longer but will be worth it. Hope you'll follow along on my search for the perfect cabin. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. You go girl and get what you want it is out there i just know it. When you get it i can dream through you cause it sounds like you and i agree on the perfect get away. I certainly will keep you in my prayers and am looking forward to this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene! Glad you're coming along with me on my journey to find the cabin of "our" dreams. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  8. Best of luck to you in your cabin search! I too, would like a little cabin in the mountains to retreat to when the heat soars here in the desert. Be patient, and I know you will find the perfect one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement Arell. I hope I can remain patient, not my best quality! Looking forward to the search. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  9. What a fun adventure, Pat. We've been on an MLS list for a beach cottage for several years, and it's hard to curb the enthusiasm at first. We still haven't found ours. Meanwhile, prices just keep going up.....{sigh}. I hope your dream is within close reach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rita! And I hope you find your beach cottage soon (we can trade with each other!!) Dreaming, Pat

      Delete
  10. What excitement and exhaustion wrapped up in one exercise of dream cabin searches. Sounds wonderful, secluded quite time, a book and a pot of coffee or tea and take in the beauty around you as you go on that excursion in a great book! Good luck and may your dream be blessed with more than you have on your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! What a sweet comment, so much appreciated. You get it! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  11. We have a 500 sq ft beach cottage and I can say it is the perfect size for two people. With bunk beds or a daybed tucked in a corner, it's perfect for bring along a couple grandkids or for having another couple for a weekend. Good luck with your search, exciting times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathie! So glad to hear I'm on track with 500 sq ft. Yours sounds perfect. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  12. You'll find it! Blow the budget and enjoy it! Make it your dream home!
    #DIDI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Glad someone finally told me to blow the budget!! Stay tuned. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful adventure -looking forward to seeing how you decorate it. Our friends let us use their vacation home in the mountains. At first we used it a lot on weekends then slowly we stopped going. We just got too busy with work. Maybe when we retire. Best of luck finding the perfect place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I must admit I'm already decorating it in my mind! Hope you get to visit your friends' mountain home soon. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  14. Pat, how exciting! Wishing you lots of luck to find the perfect little cabin out there!! A couple years ago hubby and I just about bought one. It was a pretty good size. One that our kids could come and spend time with us. It needed to be updated. In the end we decided that we didn't know if we wanted to undertake that job at our age. Still haven't completely crossed out the idea. You've sparked an interest in me again. :)
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jann! I appreciate your encouragement and know it's out there, just have to be patient (not my best quality). It's just for the two of us so it can be pretty compact. I don't want to get into a lot of updates either. Glad you're following me on this journey. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  15. YAY! Good luck and best wishes! I'm following along....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks Mary! So glad you're following along. It will be fun! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  16. Good luck on your quest! We watch Tiny House on tv all the time...not something we could do, but we've seen some amazingly spacious tiny houses in setting exactly like what you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete