Friday, April 28, 2017

Spring Garden Transformations


This giant allium is one of the first bulbs to bloom in the spring,
tempting me to visit the nursery and come home laden with annuals.
But I know it's too early, the ground too cold,
and so I look for some fun garden projects while I wait.


For now, three DIY garden transformation projects await!

This metal salesman's sample of a headboard was painted silver when I bought it at a yard sale. 
It's a scaled-down bed measuring about three feet high by one foot deep.

These small salesman's samples were made to scale and appearance
so customers could envision what they would look like in their home . . .
and they were probably a lot easier for the salesman to carry. 

 Here's the "before" picture.


Last year, I painted it white and displayed it on the front porch.


I thought about putting it in this year's yard sale; I didn't really have room for it on the porch.
Then I realized it would look nice in the garden but the white was just too glaring. 
So I spray painted it Stone Gray by Rustoleum. The softer aged look looks perfect in the garden.


The base has a one-foot open area (for a teeny tiny mattress?). 
I positioned the headboard so the bleeding hearts would grow up through that open space.


I'm so glad I didn't put it in the upcoming yard sale pile. It's a keeper.

***

Another garden accessory I've been transforming is this cast iron lion fountain. 
It was painted a bright creamy yellow color which I thought looked too new.


So I painted it the same Stone Gray paint.
Then I mixed the gray paint with a little black 
and dabbed it on with a terrycloth rag to give it a weathered look. 
  

I also used an artist's brush with the black paint to highlight a few areas
like the edges of the fountain and the raised areas on the lion's head. 


It's now about the same color as the stone of the house so it feels like it's always been there. 

***

The last project I've been working on is transforming this little bricked space by our storage shed.
I dug out about a foot of the dirt surrounding the ash tree 
and replaced the space with old bricks found in the alley.
I like using old bricks because 1) it keeps them out of a landfill and
2) the aged appearance complements an old house. 


We made a brick border by cutting bricks in two and laying them lengthwise along the edge.
We used a brick chisel and a shop hammer to make the cuts.
Sweeping dirt over the bricks filled in the spaces between the bricks.


I also moved some rocks from the garden to make a border around the tree.
This gives us a little more room to access the shed and it looks nicer too.
Hopefully, the vinca transplants will fill in the space.
So far, so good.


Apparently, it 's dog-tested and dog-approved.


So, what's on your garden to-do list this spring while you're waiting for the ground to warm up?

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's FREE) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards to see all my favorite photos.
Thank you!

***

Linking with:
Rustic & RefinedDwellingsBotanic BleuBetween Naps on the PorchCoastal Charm,
Cedar Hill FarmhouseA Stroll Thru LifeSavvy Southern StyleA Delightsome Life,
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson21 Rosemary LanePeonies and Orange Blossoms,
Adirondack Girl at HeartFrench Country CottageLittle Farmstead

29 comments:

  1. You did a great job on the fountain. The gray is better, and it does look as it it came with the house.
    I love the old bricks. My mother did, too, and would chase all over town to collect them from demolition sites for walkways and borders. Bricks, concrete and other construction materials are a huge part of our carbon footprints and you are so right to keep perfectly good stuff out of the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I love that your mom was a brick collector like me! There's so much interesting stuff that gets thrown out. I wonder if archaeologists will find our landfills some day and try to figure out what things were for and why we threw them away. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  2. Love the transformation of the bed bench and fountain! It all looks fabulous! Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have finally passed our last frost date, so I have been digging in the dirt like a mad woman - planting pots, planting the garden beds, and enjoying my irises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! meant to say your lion fountain project is the bomb!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Carole! I do hope you're enjoying digging in the dirt. We had a wet, sloppy snowstorm yesterday and today it's all melting off so everything is wet but undamaged for the most most. Glad you liked the lion fountain. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  4. Wow, what lovely garden projects!!! You did great with all of them.

    I was outside this morning, but only for a couple of hours as the heat and humidity were awful, I was back in the a.c. by 10. I saw on accu-weather that it is supposed to be HOT down here this summer. UGH!

    Your projects make me want to get out and do some more work in my own gardens, but I'll have to get out earlier to beat the heat.

    Have a wonderful weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you Lorraine. I hope you're enjoying that AC and can go outside in the early morning to enjoy your garden. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  5. Everything is so beautiful! I love the picture of your dog, ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie! Roxy says thanks too. She is pretty darn adorable. Hugs and dog kisses, Pat

      Delete
  6. Hey Sis, I love the fountain painted grey. The little bed is so cute and aren't you glad you kept it? I hope you don't have the problem with the bricks that I did. There were weeds coming up between the bricks. I ended up taking them out. Love the pictures and the comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jan. Yep, very glad I hung onto the little bed. I don't think the bricks will be a problem because there was no grass or weeds growing there before but you never know what might pop in. Hope you're having a good weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. Pat, your projects look terrific! That Stone Gray is also a keeper - love that look and how you weathered it. Little projects like what you've done make big impact, and I'm sure you were dog tired after completing them. That's hard work, but so satisfying - and pretty!
    Rita C at Panoply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita and great to hear from you. I usually don't get tired until I stop what I'm doing. Then, I collapse. Can't wait for some sunshine so I can finish up some other projects (it snowed yesterday and is melting off today). Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  8. Ahhh, bleeding hearts, one of my spring-time favs. The lupines are getting ready to bloom Tonight's snow should be interesting on tender spring flowers. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Monika. Unfortunately, the bleeding hearts got snapped off in the snowstorm yesterday but I'm hoping they might bloom again. Should be nice this week. Enjoy, Pat

      Delete
  9. It all looks so nice and so does your brick,i love old brick to it really dresses up an area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlene! I'm always watching alleys and empty lots for old bricks; they do come in handy. I've also lined my paths through the garden with old bricks. They occasionally need to be replaced so its good to have a little stockpile. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Pat

      Delete
  10. Very nice additions to your garden... I tend to use things that are rather unusual and it personalizes the garden and makes it so much more interesting. Yours is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy! I agree, I like personalizing my garden. You can tell a lot about a person by what their garden looks like. Enjoy yours. Pat

      Delete
  11. Pat,
    The lion head fountain looks wonderful with its new paint. You did a super job aging it and mixing all the different colors. I need to work on the new mirror in my half bath, and your tips on how you changed your lion fountain have given me some good ideas.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith! Good luck with your mirror. I'm thinking of planting some blue lobelia in the lion fountain. It will really show up and hopefully, trail a bit. Have a great week. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  12. I am loving the transformation. The headboard is lovely and looks beautiful in the garden. Thank you for sharing at Dishing it and Digging it link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Vanessa! Unfortunately, we had a wet,sloppy snowstorm which broke most of my bleeding hearts. Glad I got a good picture before it hit. Wonder if they will rebloom? Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  13. Hi Pat - You were right! The pale green paint was the perfect color for your headboard in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden art projects are looking fabulous. The headboard makes a great trellis. I really like the lion fountain with its new paint job. The little garden around the tree bordered by the rocks is quite charming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad Stacey featured your amazing home on her blog today, I am hooked!! I absolutely love your charming style, and I've added your blog to my blogroll so I can keep up with your posts! Nice to meet you, Pat, and I look forward to seeing a lot more of your gorgeous home and gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your spring garden is lovely! A vintage metal headboard was one of my first repurposed garden projects years ago and it's still a favorite! Love yours!

    ReplyDelete