Friday, August 19, 2016

Goodbye Old Paint


I enjoy seeing what you all can do with a paintbrush but the bug hasn't bitten me yet.

Until recently, that is.


Several years ago Ron made me a primitive seed bin 
but it was hiding down in the basement where it stored our dog food.
Here's what it looked like.



I always wanted it upstairs somewhere but couldn't find the right space for it.
Then I decided to paint it white and put it in my farmhouse-style sunroom.


I kept the silver pull and painted the bin with some old leftover satin paint 
called Ambiance by Sherwin Williams. 
I was so glad we still had it because I couldn't find the shade of white I wanted in the stores. 
Maybe it was because it had been sitting in a can for about 20 years 
but it had that aged look I was after. 


I distressed the edges where it would have been roughed up.


I think it looks good with my old farm table 
and it fits perfectly under the window. Why didn't I think of this before?
(It still stores the dog food).


~~~~~~
The other painting project I decided to tackle was an old door we found in the alley. 
I liked it because it was smaller than a standard-sized door, a plus in a small house.
 It had the original handle but it was in pretty sad shape. 


I set up my saw horses and got to work scraping off the peeling paint. 
It was an ugly shade of peach. Otherwise I'd have left the old paint intact.
Here, I'm using a scrub brush to sweep off the loose paint. 


I loved the unusual old hinges and didn't touch them. 


We added an old paint-caked door latch that looked like it had always been there.


I wanted to retain the timeworn look on this door but also wanted to get rid of the flaking paint. 
So, after scraping it off, I went over it with an almost-dry brush with white paint,
then sanded off the excess. 
I love the final look. 


It's a nice accent in the sunroom and complements the farmhouse style.
It's also easy to move, very helpful for a compulsive mover!


I'm starting to understand why people become so enthralled with the paint brush.
Can chalk paint be far behind?

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email. 

30 comments:

  1. Aesthetic and practical! The best kind of makeovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think my makeovers are usually aesthetic but not always practical! These worked out well!

      Delete
  2. Love how the bin turned out and the door is lovely too.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy! The bin is wonderful and will store just about anything. You were so lucky to find that door! I have one that came from my dad's old house but I've seen them in shops for $200.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey. I've already moved the bin and door in the sunroom several times and am imagining what I can do with them as fall arrives. Yes, old doors can fetch a good price. Nice that you have your dad's old door.

      Delete
  4. Watch out Pat, now you have the paint bug, who knows where it will end! Both look fabulous and the old bolt really does look as if it was always a part of the door. Great work, great fun, now you have a winter of painting ahead of you! Have a great weekend, Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. Indeed, I'm seeing things in a different light and wondering what might look good with a lick of paint. Glad you enjoyed this post. The weekend arrived here with much cooler temps which I'm enjoying. I hear the 90s are back in the forecast tho. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  5. Both projects turned out great. They found perfect spots in your home, too. That door is perfect for hanging seasonal decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellis. What a great idea to hang seasonal things on the old door. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  6. These projects are fabulous. I adore chippy, rusty and timeworn - even if I have to make it look that way myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking a moment to comment, always appreciated. It seems we adore the same things and I'm sure we've both contributed to that look ourselves. OK by me!

      Delete
  7. Love your old door. How lucky that you found it in an alley. Nothing beats chippy, white and farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. Yes, it was lucky. I make a point of checking out the alleys at least once a week before garbage pickup. You never know what you'll find. I love chippy white stuff too.

      Delete
  8. The door has patina, charm and character. Once the paint bug hits there is no turning back. The bin looks great and it all works together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debra. I really appreciated your comments and alas, the bug has hit!

      Delete
  9. It's happened ladies and gentlemen, she has the paint bug! LOL Love what you're doing, that (former) dog food bin looks great! I can't wait to see if you paint anything else. LOL

    Thanks so much for sharing these at the DI & DI Link Party. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh C, you crack me up! Glad you like my first attempts. Hopefully, more to come.

      Delete
  10. Love both pieces! The dog bin is just darling and looks like it has always been white. Great job! Glad you will be sharing it with SYC. I am wondering if you could send me your e-mail. I would like to discuss something with you.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jann, thank you so much. Glad you like my "dogfood" bin, soon to hold bird seed too! My email is peshipley@earthlink.net. Looking forward to hearing from you.

      Delete
  11. Great redo! Love your little cow creamers too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the transformations! I always love what some white paint can do. There is nothing like chippy white paint on something old.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat, Both projects turned out really nice. The box looks like it was meant to be there. Love the door. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice transformations! That door is charming ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did such a nice job with both pieces, Pat. I'm coveting your dog food storage bin--I could definitely use one of those! It fits in so nicely with your other pieces in that room. Thanks so much for linking your projects up with us at Vintage Charm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. Painting the bin was fun and I like how it turned out. It's also holding bird seed now so it's practical too.

      Delete
  16. Those look great Pat! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete