Friday, August 25, 2017

French Country: A Touch of Fall


I'm not one to rush into autumn decorating
when I'm still enjoying my summer home and garden.
However, it seems as the weather gets a little cooler and a lot rainier 
(they call it monsoon season here), I can feel fall tapping me on the shoulder.

With splashes of late-blooming flowers making an appearance in the garden, 
I was tempted to bring some seasonal blooms into the house.


This metal tote, with the original blue paint, exudes a farmhouse mood with
clear glass mason jars and a sprig of fresh carrot top straight from the garden.
I'd been using this tote under the kitchen sink to hold cleaning products 
until I saw the same tote (without the blue paint!) for $54 in an antique mall!
Now, it takes center stage on the dog food bin. 



Ah, sunflowers.
I discovered these two amazing sunflower pillows at a yard sale last weekend for $3.50 each. 
The owner said she'd paid about $40 each at Pier One. 
Ron always tells me we have enough pillows but even he said we should snag these! 


In the guest room, I gave this little hamper a punch of autumn color  
with an orange throw and some colorful poppies.


My proud little rooster has made his way to the sunroom to join the hens and show off a bit.
The old farm auction sign came from Ron's family's farm. Such a special piece of personal history.


Outdoors, things are changing with the seasons too.
When Ron went camping in southern Colorado, he was greeted by this little flock of wild turkeys.
I recently read that a group of domesticated turkeys is called a gang.
Wonder what their gang name is! The Turks perhaps?


On a recent bike ride in Waterton Canyon, south of Denver, 
we encountered another kind of wild animal
(no, not me!)


I think these big horn sheep may have come down into the canyon 
as the temps cooled off at higher elevations.


We saw one big ram in the herd of mostly ewes and lambs. 
Not wanting to upset him and his dangerous curved horns, 
we decided not to ask him to pose for a picture! Here's his little family.


Back home, a big bunch of bittersweet in a basket greets us in the foyer.


 Looking more like fall every day.

***

P.S. Like everyone else in the United States, we watched the recent eclipse.
The darkening sky was eerie and so were these crescent shapes on our sidewalk.
Just had to share these pixs.




Aren't they amazing? Like a sidewalk of clouds.

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's FREE) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards to see all my favorite photos.
Thank you!!

***

Linking with:
Little Farmstead, Blue Willow HouseShabby Art BoutiqueRustic & RefinedDwellings,
Everyday LivingBetween Naps on the PorchCoastal CharmCedar Hill Farmhouse,
A Stroll Thru LifeSavvy Southern StyleA Delightsome LifeHave a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson,
Katherine's CornerMy Thrift Store Addictionfrenchcountrycottage

24 comments:

  1. Your bike riding territory is beautiful! I can't imagine running into sheep while out riding. The only thing we might see is a bird in the daytime.

    Your fall touches are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! This canyon is one of my favorite places to ride. We often see some kind of critter there and have heard there are bears around tho we've never run into one. Thank goodness. I also love this road because it is a very gradual uphill and downhill coming out when I'm tired! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  2. I'm seeing falling leaves in my 'hood to add a definite autumnal air. Love your eclipse photo. I watch it online as I didn't have the viewing glasses. House got dark and it knocked everything out of balance. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monika! Haven't seen any falling leaves here yet tho my flowers are definitely on their way out. Glad you liked the eclipse photo. It was so strange and beautiful. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. I agree with Stacey your bike riding territory is gorgeous and so is your home. The fall touches you have added to your home are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon. I think we're all a little bit ready for fall. I'll be glad to have some cooler weather. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle! Pinned

      Delete
  4. You did a great job with your Autumn decor. Those sheep and pictures of eclipse were amazing. I live in Shawnee,what a small world. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Marlene! Did you get to see much of the eclipse in Shawnee? Ron knew exactly where you live...small world indeed. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  5. All very pretty. I hope that it wasn't too hard for Ron's family to part with the farm. I'm sure that Ron has other souvenirs but the auction poster, although probably associated with some strong emotions, ensures that there is some continuity of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! I don't think it was a difficult sale as it was a long time ago but he does have good memories of that farm which I'm sure he won't forget. Hope you're having a great weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  6. Those crescents are amazing. Like art.
    There were big "gangs" of wild turkeys near my parents' house, which was near a wooded park but in the center of a city of half a million or so. They would stop traffic on the busy four-lane street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much; I'd never seen anything like those crescents on the sidewalk. So magical and strange. I can't imagine seeing wild turkeys in the middle of a busy street. Guess they're adaptable. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. I just love this post. Fall is my favorite season with the crisp air and pretty fall colors and cooler temperatures. You have done a beautiful job incorporating the history and the feeling of fall. Congrats. Enjoyed this one very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! Me too. Ready for fall and a visit with my fave sis. Big hugs, Pat

      Delete
  8. I live in Toronto, Canada, a city of over 2 million people. We have wild turkeys in our busy city neighbourhood! Love your shadow photos during the eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm amazed to hear people's wild turkey stories in the city. Crazy big birds! Did you see the eclipse in Toronto? What an amazing sight. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you Amber! I love demijohns too and hope I can find an affordable big one some day. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  10. Pat,
    Love the eclipse crescents on your sidewalk.... I do not remember seeing this in previous eclipses, but did this time. We had a large cooler with a white lid sitting under a shade tree during the eclipse, and their were similar crescents on the lid, a brown grocery sack, and the dirt below the shade tree. I read that the sunlight steaming between the leaves is what allows the eclipse shadow to show up.

    A great find on the Pier I fall pillow... A new perspective on your blue metal tote gives a new appreciation for something right under our noses. :)

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith! I'd never seen anything like those crescents, amazing what nature can paint! Cool that you got to see them too under the shade tree. Yes, now I'm wondering what else is right under my nose. Hugs (miss your linky party), Pat

      Delete
  11. It does seem like Fall is coming a lot quicker. Its literally 70's here and the trees are taking on the fall color already. I feel like I am behind on my decorating...lol That metal basket is amazing, i cannot believe the 54 bucks tho, that's too much. I like yours better tho, I am guessing you paid a much better price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! It's hard to believe your trees are changing colors already but you are quite a bit further north. You're right about the metal basket, probably paid about $15 for it years ago. It had weird rubber trim on the sides when I bought it which I removed. I do love it now. Enjoy your cooler weather. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  12. I love your fall accents, Pat! It's still so warm here! Thanks for sharing @Vintage Charm! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete