Friday, February 24, 2017

French Country's Friend : Ironstone

Hi Everyone! Before I get to this week's post, I have a little announcement.

I have finally figured out how to post a link to Pinterest on my blog so you can see all of my favorite photos on my Pinterest boards.  I hope you'll follow me to check out all of my French Country Decorating and Garden pixs. Just click on "Follow on Pinterest" in the right column.

Thanks so much for reading my blog. I really appreciate your loyalty and friendship and I love hearing from all of you. Blogging has given me an unexpected creative outlet that has truly enriched my life. So, let's connect! And, please do let me know if the Pinterest button doesn't work for you. Thanks so much. Now, on to this week's post . . .

***

When I first started collecting ironstone, I couldn't help myself. 
I couldn't resist the creamy white dishware and bought every piece I saw that I could afford.
I started out with tiny milk creamers.


And added more substantial pieces as I found them at estate sales and thrift stores.
When you hold a piece of ironstone, you know you're holding something with history.

Pitchers were always my favorites but platters and bowls and tureens called to me too.


Ironstone always looks so fresh and appealing.
It's the perfect accessory for a French Country look --
that timeworn feeling of simple comfortable elegance.


Like white fabrics, ironstone captures many different tones of white
from almost-pure white to mellowed ivory with tints of brown. 


Now that I'm beginning to have a decent little collection,
you'd think I'd be able to resist but I still can't seem to help myself.
Anything with a crest on the bottom finds its way home with me. 


I can always make room for a little milk creamer or a petite egg cup.


The Charm of Imperfection
Even things that aren't in perfect condition are irresistible.
In fact, I'm finding I'm most drawn to things that show signs of wear.


Those pieces with a crazed surface
(those little lines that we all develop over the years) call to me.


And a gravy boat that is missing the tip of its spout
holds untold stories of family holiday dinners long gone by. 


My favorite piece to date, is this little pitcher.
I found it at my local Goodwill and almost didn't bring it home because
it had obviously been dropped and had shattered into several pieces.


But it had been lovingly repaired. 
Someone had painstakingly glued all the broken bits back together and
it made me think of it having had open-heart surgery. And surviving! 

Now it has pride of place in my kitchen.
I love the sweet little lattice design around the bottom.


What is it about ironstone that calls to so many people?
Is it because it complements any style from Farmhouse to French Country?
Or is it its humble design?


Is it its pure white tone that goes with any color scheme?
White is so easy to live with. It calms a chaotic room and soothes our busy minds.


For me, its always about the history of a piece. 
I love fancy antiques but my heart is always touched
by the simple things that people used every day.


Those well-loved pieces never go out of style. 
And will always find a home with me.

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's FREE) in the upper right column of this page.
Thank you!

***

Linking with:
Rustic & RefinedDwellingsBetween Naps on the PorchCoastal CharmCedar Hill Farmhouse,
A Stroll thru LifeBotanic BleuSavvy Southern StyleA Delightsome Life,
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson21 Rosemary LanePeonies and Orange Blossoms,
Adirondack Girl at HeartCharm of HomeFrench Country Cottage


38 comments:

  1. First of all, I bow before you that you spelled complements correctly. Rare!
    I love ironstone, or white china for that matter, because it isn't fussy. All the pieces play well together. They might not have the same patterns, but that is nothing if they are all white. If you have, say, a floral pattern, you have to get the same thing. Which is nearly impossible with old things. I am not one to say, oh, I have 10 dinner plates but only 8 dessert plates, therefore I need new china. No, I will find 10 dessert plates that are white, and that might involve the 8 old ones and 2 new ones that are similar enough. Because who at a dinner party compares plates when there is dessert on them???
    The French term for chipped is "ébrèché" (ay-bresh-ay), which is pretty in its way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment!!! Good luck finding more white dishes. Love the French ebreche! French always sounds so much prettier than English. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. I think ironstone is so popular now for the precise reasons it was first made in the 1800's because of it's durability and basic functionality. It has stood the test of time over more than a century, originally made a as a tougher more resilient piece than porcelain. I too am always excited when I see a piece at a Brocante, but it is getting rarer to find. Your collection is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! Great to hear from you...that email fluke must have worked itself out. Ironstone is getting harder to find which makes it all the more desirable! Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  3. That ironstone is lovely. Enjoy them.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pat

    I'm now following you on Pinterest! Love your ironstone collection. Very pretty and theor imperfections make them more dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat! I really appreciate your following my Pinterest board. Hope you're enjoying the weekend. That bit of early Spring we had was so tempting. I probably started my garden clean-up too soon but couldn't help myself.

      Delete
  5. Great blog this week Sister. It just seems to be made for your home. It reflects your personality. Calm, refined, and cozy. You know what you can leave me in your will now. Hopefully I never have them to add to my treasures, as I would rather have you. Looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jan!I don't know about me being calm but I'll take cozy! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  6. Nothing sweeter than a little white pitcher (as we laughed about yesterday 💗)I will definitely check out the Pinterest link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Hurrah...the link worked great and I'm following!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Monika! I appreciate you following my Pinterest board. So great to meet you...Sam's next! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. Lovely collection of ironstone. I think it goes with everything! And the history -- can't beat a good story! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Snap! I guess that's why we love old things--the stories that lie within. Pat

      Delete
  8. You have a lovely collection. Thank you for sharing it. I love that piece that was lovingly repaired. I will look with new eyes at a piece that has flaws. Thanks for sharing at Monday Social.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Katie! Love what you said about looking at flawed things with new eyes. Pat

      Delete
  9. You have a very nice collection of Ironstone. When you enjoy collecting it is difficult to pass by a potential addition. I have collected pieces and then later weeded out ones that I felt were not enhancing the collection. You have the right attitude. Just collect what you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara! It's so hard to weed out isn't it? I've become a bit more discerning over the years but some things are just too hard to pass up. Pat

      Delete
  10. Love all of it!! Great post and great collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am such a sucker for creamers, my collection is a lot of violets. I do like the clean simplicity of the ironstone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carole. I imagine the creamers with violets are lovely. Purple is the new black! Pat

      Delete
  12. Love your collection Pat and you have them displayed so beautifully! I have a small collection; but don't run across them often. I picked up a gravy boat this week from the estate I am hosting at my home. No markings. I don't always know if it's actual ironstone, but if it appeals to me; it's a keeper! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jann! I love gravy boats. So are you getting into the estate sale biz? I'm afraid I would buy up everything before the sale if I did that. It doesn't really matter if there are markings on ironstone as long as you love it! Pat

      Delete
  13. Beautiful Pat.....
    I have a fair collection of ironstone, and yes...they mostly have one battle scar or another!!
    If you run across a piece that is too brown (from heat), just fill it up with
    $$ store cheapy hydrogen peroxide, and let it sit overnight. It won't turn it completely white, but it will make a noticeable difference.
    Enjoy your goodies...they are lovely.
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you J. I appreciate the tip too; will keep it in mind. Have a great weekend. Pat

      Delete
  14. Pat, The pure white always goes with everything which is why it`s attractive to lots of folks. Thanks for sharing your collection. Have a great day! Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a beautiful collection!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty collection! Thanks for sharing! Hugs,Maristella.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pat, I am hopping back to let you know that you will be featured at SYC this week.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature Jann! Have a great week. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  18. Ironstone is one of my current favorites, Pat, and I loved seeing yours. You hit the nail on the head for all the reasons we love it, too. Thanks for linking up your posts with us at Vintage Charm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! I enjoyed writing this post because it gave me the opportunity to really look at all my pieces again. Glad you enjoyed it. Hugs, Pat

      Delete