Thursday, June 4, 2015

French Country Garden

What makes a garden French Country?

You don't have to have an intricate parterre or a huge limestone fountain 
to create the feeling of Provence in your garden.


When I returned from a trip to France, one of the first things I did was tear out some grass. 
And then, a little more grass. 
In France, I loved the sound of walking on gravel paths in the gardens, museum courtyards 
and the path leading up to the Eiffel Tower.



So, I ripped out the grass and designed curved gravel paths in my front and back yards.
 Every time I walk on them, I'm transported to France. 
The edges are softened with thyme, creeping phlox, wild geraniums and soapwort.


Each year, I seem to expand the garden spaces around the house by eliminating more and more grass. When I first moved here, the yard was all grass with a crabapple tree in the middle of the back yard. Now, the gardens have taken over and encircle the house.


The front yard path curves around the porch through a chippy metal arch to the side garden.
The path is filled with pea gravel and crunches when you walk on it.




The back yard path winds like a snake to the back gate. 
This one holds "red chip" and matches the red flagstone patio. 
I think red chip is just flagstone scrap pieces that have been broken into tiny pieces.


A dry stream bed with a brick path lends a natural touch.


Another feature that enhances that French Country feeling is a bistro table and chairs. 
I found mine on Craigslist. They've found a home under that crabapple, 
complete with hanging lanterns. A perfect spot to admire the sunset with a glass of wine.



Add a recirculating wall fountain for a soothing sound 
and pots overflowing with flowers and voila
French Country at the foot of the Rockies.


Now, if I just had a rooster!




4 comments:

  1. Pat, your garden looks so inviting! I hope to come over and enjoy a glass of wine one evening at your bistro table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I love the dry creek bed idea and have a spot in my yard that would work for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I am doing something similar -- more of the Italian style! This is going to be a long journey for me. I am truly inspired Grazie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat,
    Just discovered your blog today from The Scoop and am visiting your older posts. Your backyard is so inviting. I loved the dry river bed with boulders and blue flowers so much that I pinned it.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete