Friday, October 12, 2018

Mystique in my French Attic

Before I begin this post let me thank everyone for your great comments/suggestions/advice 
on my last post "Is it Cozy or Cramped." 
So many amazing ideas. 
I wish you all could go to the cabin with me to help me move furniture!
Thanks so very much!

***

Now on to this week's post "Mystique in my French Attic."

As I sit at my desk in a room I've always thought of as my tiny French attic,
it's raining and snowing outside.
Skies are painted Paris gray and gold leaves are tumbling down the street. 

But I'm snug and warm in my office,
a place that makes me think of the romance and allure of Paris.
Shall we rendezvous in my French attic?


Here's a wide shot of this tiny attic space.
You'll notice I've painted the bistro chair at my desk French blue.
The desk was six different primary colors when I bought it at an antique store. 
Looks completely different all white and pulls the room's French decor together. 


I love the warmth of a small lamp on my desk.
The shade is punched with tiny pinpricks reminding me of a magical starry night in Paris.


Note the wicker stand next to the red leather chair (estate sale bargain). 
The top holds decorating magazines and the bottom shelf stores large books.


I like to drape monogrammed linens over the front.
Don't you wonder who they were lovingly created for?


I found this pretty curvy gate in a neighborhood alley 
and it was the perfect size to frame my wicker flower stand.
I can imagine it on an ivy-draped French patio
where women were wooed and men were charmed.


Behind the red chair you'll notice the tall chippy post we rescued from a construction dumpster.
It adds age and patina to that French attic mood.


Tying my white sheers in the middle lets in light
and makes me imagine stepping outside onto an iron balcony
overlooking the rooftops of Paris.


I moved my vintage typewriter to the shelves above my desk, making room for a classic telephone.
This red mid-century modern cart complements the Paris apartment mood
and holds this enchanting vintage telephone.
 I wish it still worked.  I have to admit I like playing with the rotary dial!


You can't really see the top shelf in this room but it's lined with old black and white hat boxes. 
I wonder why we stopped wearing hats.
I loved the mystery behind the netting held with a black velvet bow.

It's fun to watch 1940s black and white movies to see how things have changed. 
Women were always dressed so beautifully and men looked so dashing in their fedoras!

It won't be long til the street below is dressed in white, a film noir just outside my window. 
So where are all the men in fedoras?

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I'd love for you to follow me by email.
Just subscribe in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards to see all my favorite photos.
Thank you!!

**

Linking with:
Little FarmsteadOur Southern HomeDwellingsThe Dedicated House,
Between Naps on the PorchStone GableA Stroll Thru LifeDesignthusiasm,
21 Rosemary LaneFollow the Yellow Brick HomeFrench Country Cottage




18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! I spend a lot of time in this room so I wanted it to be cozy. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  2. Am so envious of your red French attic hideaway,so wonderful,that chair is incredible and having great ottoman helps relieve sore legs and feet. Love everything I saw.How are things up at your cabin since the break in?No snow here yet,we had lots of rain,our back yard is a mud hole,thank heavens for my mud boots. Hung laundry out today and was glad to have them,squish squish. Have to remind myself it is Oct.12th. Hopefully won't be too much longer before we get snow.Lots of it up on the Grand Mesa/Powderhorn..and other area mountains. Has gotten cool enuf at night to have 2 quilts on bed,no flannel sheets yet.Have been having my usual Fall allergies. Still working on Fall decorations in house and front porch.
    Have wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words. We've boarded up the cabin for the winter (it's probably snowed in at 11,000 feet!) Hope you have a great weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. You are such a romantic! Love your hideaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Jean! I can always find a little space for romance. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful room you have created! I’m in love with your red chair and ottoman. I love bits of red. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I found the red chair at an estate sale but it was too expensive. Went back the next day and it was half off! SOLD! Have a wonderful weekend, Pat

      Delete
  5. Sweet room! Nice hat box collection and your desk is lovely. Just enough linen to remind you of France. All very nice and tidy... perfect for relaxing and creative thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So well said Ann. I appreciate your sweet comments. Thanks Ann! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  6. Your post inspired me to bring some style back to my spare bedroom, post here http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/2018/10/my-no-budget-french-country-bedroom.html
    Not done yet, but getting there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the cosiness and warmth of your room so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad i found this,i was out of town for this posting but, love this room. I know it is a wonderful place for you to sit and read or just enjoy the dreams we all have from time to time. I love seeing things of the 30's and 40's, when you didn't see anyone's underwear,lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great hideaway/work space. Such a great thing to be able to pull a room together so beautifully using vintage and thrifted/estate sale finds. Right up my alley! Oh, and I would kill for that chippy post:) Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was such a fun post to read! I love your beautiful magazine stand and gate salvage. I enjoyed touring your "Paris attic apartment."

    Thanks so much for sharing at TFT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love a cozy room like yours. Your rotary phone is a great touch. Happy Fall, Kippi

    ReplyDelete