Friday, August 18, 2017

Romantic French Farmhouse

I usually think of farmhouse decor as simple, natural, warm and cozy. 
Nothing too fussy or too precious.
On the other hand, Romantic French style speaks a different language
of sparkling chandeliers, old silver teapots and fresh flowers.


So, is it possible to blend rustic farmhouse decor with romantic style
in your French Country home?
Kind of like Joanna Gaines meets Charles Faudree?

Why yes, indeedy!! It's definitely possible.
Just follow your heart. 


Actually, the two aren't all that different.
Romantic style captures that farmhouse spirit, then adds softness and a sense of the past.


Both use a light-colored palette for a fresh, soothing feeling.


Both incorporate natural elements such as garden hats, urns or birds' nests.


And both create a romantic mood with candles, mirrors and soft lighting. 


Architectural pieces such as carved corbels, fancy ironwork or crystal doorknobs
bring the romance of the past alive.






Comfortable upholstered furniture, whether new or gently worn, is a staple 
in both French Country and Romantic Farmhouse styles.
Little white dog is optional but adds a touch of sweetness!


And chippy painted wood furniture is at home with either style.
Add a Hollywood Regency candelabra to set a romantic mood. 


Simplicity in window treatments softens windows, adds warmth, and frames a pretty view. 


Treasured accessories, whether old books, well-loved ironstone or faded paintings, 
work in a simple farmhouse as well as in a newer home in the city.


Fresh flowers are always the language of romance.


Silver adds some romantic glam to a farmhouse look.


Vintage photographs tell a romantic story and add soul to a room.
I found this old class photo at an estate sale;
 it touched my heart when I saw someone had written the names of each child on the back.
Had to save it even though I didn't know anyone.


Outdoors, this simple fence and bench says Farmhouse but . . .


add a chippy watering can and some floppy flowers and our thoughts drift to romance.


I think what it comes down to is this . . . 
farmhouse and romantic styles are more of a feeling than a specific look.


And if you feel it, follow your heart. 
Your home will wrap you in its arms and love you back.

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's FREE) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards to see all my favorite photos.
Thank you!!

***

Linking with:
Little FarmsteadBlue Willow HouseRustic & RefinedDwellingsEveryday Living,
Between Naps on the PorchCoastal CharmCedar Hill FarmhouseA Stroll Thru Life,
Savvy Southern StyleA Delightsome LifeHave a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson21 Rosemary Lane,
Katherine's CornerMy Thrift Store AddictionFrench Country CottageShabby Art Boutique







35 comments:

  1. You would have to go to a pretty rugged, remote and rustic French farmhouse to not find pretty things. Just because they live in the countryside doesn't mean the French don't appreciate refinement. They will work it in wherever possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course. I totally agree. The photos I've seen of French farmhouses are beautiful and I love how they pass lovely things down through the generations.

      Delete
  2. Hello Pat, Simply beautiful, but then every visit here is enchanting. Your home is certainly romantic and charming :)
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! Thanks so much for your sweet comments. Glad you enjoyed your visit. I think farmhouse, romantic and French all seem to blend well, a little here, a little there. Wishing you a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. I agree with Connie! Your home is definitely romantic and charming! And cozy for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie! Any home can be cozy and charming if we love it which I do. Thanks for stopping by for a visit. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You are too kind Joanie. I appreciate your comment and am glad you stopped by. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  5. Me too!! Love your blog. And such beautiful photos. Quite inspiring and a nice treat to read at the end of my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say about the treat at the end of the day. Thank you Arell. I've really developed a love of photography since starting this blog and hope I'm improving with practice. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  6. I think the secret is to not follow a 'style' too rigidly. Mixing and matching works well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Catherine. Adhering to a specific style can be restrictive. Mixing it up keeps it fresh and fun. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. As usual, a lovely tour of romance. One question...where did you find the rug in the dining room? It's fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Monika, thanks for your kind words. Re the rug, I bought it (yikes, actually paid retail for it!) many years ago on south University near County Line. It was a big carpet store that unfortunately I can't remember the name of. Not even sure if it's still there. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hope you're having a great weekend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  8. I love your home it is so cozy and a place I can tell you really enjoy.Love all your ideas. Right now i wish i were in Colorado cause here in Okla. it is 97 today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene. So glad you enjoyed this post. I'm always tweaking something here and there and hoping it comes out right. It's almost 90 here in Denver today so not much better, just less humidity. Ron is from Moore so he sends greetings. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  9. I totally agree with you and I love the combo of both. I still love the wall of mirrors, that always takes my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! Yeah, if I can't find a mirror in my house it's my own darn fault! Have a good week, my friend. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  10. Yes, Pat, it's more a feeling than a look, I agree! Your showcased items all sing to my inner soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rita, you always say the most perfect things. Thanks so much. Did you get to see the eclipse today? Looked like you were in the 90% range. Us too in Denver. So cool! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  11. Your home style is beautiful. You put everything together to be soft and welcoming pretty and quaint but not so elegant as to be rigid and cold. I hope that makes sense to you. I am a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leanna. You have no idea how much a comment like "I am a fan," means to me. You made my day. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  12. lovely! i love all your fabulous details. i'm so glad i clicked on your link from inspire me tues. xo- maryjo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words. I'm glad you clicked on my link too and hope to see you again soon. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  13. Lovely touches to be sure!! I love crystal doorknobs...especially in older homes...
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I took a "What's Your Style?" quiz once and came up with Rustic Glam. I think that is the perfect description of this mix of styles. Beautiful photos!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE your touch of French Country. Would love if you'd come share it at Reader Tip Tuesday too: http://www.jodiefitz.com/2017/08/22/reader-tip-tuesday-party-crafts-recipes/
    It's open & growing all week xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post is simply stunning! I will be pinning away and visiting often!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your home and photos are beautiful Pat! I've so enjoyed exploring your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm still trying to figure out my style; I love so many different types of things. Seeing yours all oulled together made me envious. Your photos really made me think how I'd like my home to look!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always enjoy seeing your lovely home with all its romantic French County touches. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post, Pat. My tastes leans more toward romantic French farmhouse too. Thanks for sharing @ Vintage Charm--pinned!

    ReplyDelete