Friday, November 1, 2019

Capturing Winter Light

Greetings from the Deep Freeze! I awoke this morning to 10 degrees and 10 inches of snow. 
I admit I stayed in my jammies until around noon 
when I started noticing unusual shadows and highlights in the dining and living rooms.


Winter light can pose challenges as well as creative photographic opportunities. 
The sun is lower in the sky, casting unusual shadows and highlights 
where you didn't notice them before. 


Walking though your house you may notice potential shots
 that were invisible in the harsh light of summer.


This post is not about changing your white balance or stepping down your f-stops 
because I keep it simple with my Canon point and shoot camera. 
You can find some excellent tips online for these more specialized adjustments.

No, today's post is about noticing how things change in the filtered light of winter. 
My number one tip is simply to pay attention to what's around you. 
The winter sun is lower in the sky, creating a softer light, making winter, 
as some experts say, the best season for photography.


Remember how strong summer light created harsh shadows. 
Well, winter light filters the sun, turning those shadows into creative shots.


Winter days are shorter so tip number two is take your outdoor photos during the Magic Hour 
when a golden glow cast a warm tone on your photos.
This is the mountain by our cabin as the sun sinks in the sky.


 Magic Hour is the time just before and after sunrise and sunset. 
Also known as Happy Hour! Well, during sunset that is. LOL


Here's one I didn't know until I read it online . . . batteries don't last as long in cold temperatures 
so have extras on hand or make sure your rechargeable batteries are fully charged. 
That's tip number three.

Taking a photo of an object next to a window can produce a lovely soft, shot.


The main message of this post is simply to be more aware of your surroundings this winter
and you may discover a whole different look to your photos.
I like the contrast of dark and light in this photo.


Roxy certainly is aware of her warm surroundings on these cold winter days. 
She always seems to find a spot of sun. 
And, yes, she likes to keep a small plate close by in case a snack becomes available. 


***
If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe in the upper right column of this page.
Thanks so much!!


7 comments:

  1. Thanks, i will pay more attention, love your post and pictures, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses...............

      Delete
  2. Such lovely images! Hope you're staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pictures. I just took one this morning out my kitchen window....I had cleaned the patio table off and placed a cement pumpkin in the center. Mother Nature decorated the table top with leaves. It looks like I staged it! Beauty all around us....even on cloudy days...which are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in the moment that's when one notices the details around us. Love how you captured these details that largely go unnoticed. It's living with great focus that we live each day to the fullest not just getting through the day in a blur but noticing all the splendor around us. Thanks for sharing. Roxie knows the best spot to relax, love the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was fun exploring all the nooks and crannies of light in your home :)

    ReplyDelete

  6. I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses...............

    ReplyDelete