Friday, October 6, 2017

French Country: Get Galvanized for Fall

What is it about galvanized buckets, cans and vases that we love so much?
Is it because they remind us of rustic farmhouses or quaint French flower markets?


Is it that rustic patina that gradually turns a shiny finish into a muted gray
that captures our hearts?


Galvanizing is a process of coating zinc to steal or iron to prevent rusting.
That's perfect for a rough and tumble existence outdoors but we who love antiques
and vintage don't mind a little rust in the right places at all, do we?


It's that lovely faded sheen of galvanized metal that is a perfect foil for fall decorating.




I started collecting galvanized items this year
and my hoard has gradually grown until my patio baker's rack is overflowing.


New galvanized items of all sorts are inexpensive but they're practically giving them away
at estate and yard sales. I've purchased most of my items for just a couple of dollars.


Granted, the watering cans can be a bit more but they're so worth it.


With fall at our doorstep . . . 


. . . it's a simple pleasure to plop a few flowers from the garden into a zinc container.



Happy October!

***

If you enjoyed your visit, I hope you'll follow me by email.
Just subscribe (it's FREE) in the upper right column of this page.
You can also follow my Pinterest boards to see all my favorite photos.
Thank you so much!!

***


24 comments:

  1. I have a few old items that i have bought at estate sales,they are the best. Watering cans are something i haven't found, you have a great collection. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene. I hope you're having a great weekend too. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  2. You ask "what is it about...". I was asking the same thing this morning when I was looking at a beautiful photo of lumps of soap. For me, it is the unpackaged simplicity, reminiscent of the past, that I think works on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine! I agree there is beauty in simplicity. Then why do I have so much stuff? LOL. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  3. You sure have acquired a collection. I love the way you have everything displayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! So glad you like it too. Looking forward to the new antique mall! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  4. Nice! I had the exact same metal baker's rack (in blue) years ago! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! Did I mention I found this rack in the alley? Can you believe it? Blue would be pretty too. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  5. Fantastic collection of galvanized containers and watering cans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a fan of galvanized items as well. They're the farm girl's silver, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! I like that image...farm girl's silver. And you don't have to polish it! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  7. I love all things galvanized, and you have a lovely collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I"m visiting for the 1st time from over at Linda's "Dishing It & Digging It" party. I'm 100% with you on the galvanized love!!! I have collected a few pieces here and there, and I hope to expand even further if/when space permits! :-) I like my rusty pieces, too, but the galvanized ones are like "a poor man's silver" to me. You have some terrific pieces, and your photography is really great. I especially love the photo of the votive candles in the window. Spectacular!!! How you got your pup to sit still for that photo is a wonderment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alycia! I'm always thrilled to hear from a new visitor. Thank you for stopping by. So glad you enjoyed this post and I hope you'll visit again often. My "pup" is 11 years old and she's quite the photo bomber! Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  9. I love your galvanized collection. You've got a pretty good collection started for just having been at it a year. I collect galvanized items too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joanna. I appreciate your sweet comments. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  10. Beautiful collection and photos. I'm a new blogger and just did my first link party and that's how I discovered your beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah and welcome to the blog world. Isn't it exciting when you figure out how to join a link party? So glad you found my blog and I hope you'll visit often. Good luck with your new blog. Hugs, Pat

      Delete
  11. Love the yellow flowers with the galvanized container. Great contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pat, thanks for sharing your wonderful galvanized collection at Vintage Charm--pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too love galvanized watering cans and buckets, pretty much anything galvanized. Thank you for sharing your collection at Snickerdoodle. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a collection you have! I especially love watering cans.
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete